Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tech Tips!

Tech Tips! Share your kool tech tip.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:04 PM

Default Missing detail on cowl steering

I've done several searches and posted in some of the car forums I'm a member of but I keep missing a detail in cowl steering.
Using a Model A Sedan as an example:
-If the steering box needs to be mounted to a brace that is welded to the frame, how do you put a body on a frame over the brace if the body has a floor?
-Do you mount the body, fabricate the brace and then make the floor around the brace?
-Or Can you make a stout brace inside the body that mounts with some heavy bolts to heavy brackets on the frame?
That's the part of the puzzle I'm missing. I keep seeing Mopar cowl steering setups but I always seem to miss the photo where they have the car finished with the detail of the floor, brace and frame involved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:53 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Never seen one done. If the body isn't rugged enough you could have a bracket welded to the frame that's even with the floor. Bolt the mount for the steering gear to it and use grommets or a gasket of some sort at the floor. I like the look of cowl steering but it's not very practical for a guy with long legs. My other problem with it is if you were ever in an accident. your knees and legs would take a hell of a beating.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Proper cowl steering setups have a frame work inside the car body that the systems mounts to.
Think of it as a roll bar, but behind the dash.
And yes. It gets welded to the frame and you make the floor board around it. If bolted, you could bolt it to the frame through the floor boards as well.
never just mount these systems to the body as they aren't strong enough..
Torchie
Old 05-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
Never seen one done. If the body isn't rugged enough you could have a bracket welded to the frame that's even with the floor. Bolt the mount for the steering gear to it and use grommets or a gasket of some sort at the floor. I like the look of cowl steering but it's not very practical for a guy with long legs. My other problem with it is if you were ever in an accident. your knees and legs would take a hell of a beating.
My concern would be having the exposed steering arm in an accident can suddenly make something minor into something major when your vehicle suddenly changes direction. It looks cool, but it's not for me.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.