1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it's coming along, but you have a long row to hoe there yet! Good luck getting it all gapped right, and the sooner you weld those old tail light holes up the happier I'll be. God they are ugly!

Thanks, guys.

bob, you're welcome here anytime.

dutch, we broke the handle a while back... it's just a heavy prop rod, now.

Bill, we hate those holes more than anybody, but while they remain, we find them kinda handy. When one guy's in the trunk making adjustments, the other can watch and pass tools through them if needed... we've also become fond of stripping panels with heat guns (no grinding, no messy chemicals) and the holes make perfect holsters!

attachment.php

Attachments

• body27.jpg
    body27.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 87
That area on my Dodge is all McGaffered up as well. And nobody makes a replacement piece. (Crappy or otherwise). So quit whining.:eek: :D [ddd
Going to spend part of this winter dreaming of how I'm going to fix it.:eek:
As always. I have no doubt of the outcome of yours.:cool: :D [cl
[P [P [P
Torchie

Who would have thought at the start of this build that such evil was lurking under an innocent looking white paint job?? My hat is off to you guys for going the extra mile to make a decent car out of it again. Makes me feel spoiled working with a realativly clean body on the Packard. I guess some of those "back in the day" rods were just not that great or safe, but then they didn't have all the tools that we take for granted like MIG welders and other metal shaping tools or all the aftermarket parts.....
Keep the good stuff coming [cl[P

That area on my Dodge is all McGaffered up as well. And nobody makes a replacement piece. (Crappy or otherwise). So quit whining.:eek: :D [ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

[cl[ddd[ddd[ddd

Who would have thought at the start of this build that such evil was lurking under an innocent looking white paint job?? [cl[P

I thought the same thing [S:(

Thanks for your comments, guys. :D

There's nothing like a THICK layer of white to hide shoddy work... looks like it was skillfully "sprayed" by a water bomber in seven or nine passes. (Next time we strip paint, I'll get a sample.)

Torchie, my friend... I'm gonna whine and complain until the grief subsides. I wouldn't make a sound if the panel was cheap and fit poorly, but this piece cost plenty and therefore, a bitter disappointment!

attachment.php

Attachments

• turd.jpg
    turd.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 85
Is that the Canadian version of the 'Fickle finger of fate" award. Good Dr.:eek::p [ddd
All joking aside... I feel your pain. As I stated in my post, the Rockers for the Dodge where not as I had hoped for either.Glad I bought the less $$ set as the $$$$ set looked exactly the same.:eek:
You will get it fixed up regardless. But like you ,I hate to spend the money only to have to redo or modify what I just payed for.:mad:
Carry on good brother....
[P [P [P
Torchie

We're in the same boat, Torchie. Thank You for your sentiments! :p

Unlike the fickle finger, the golden turd has no wings, so it can't fly until you launch it.

I've never felt the need to poo in a box and charge top dollar for the effort, but I'm inclined to send a package to EMS, which reminds of this film clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4

A little progress...

We removed the bent fender and clamped the bent flange to a heavy bar. The flange should be dead straight, so we clamped and hammered, clamped and hammered until the flange fit tight to the bar... naturally, straightening the flange caused the crowned area to buckle in couple places, so I worked the buckles out before letting the clamps off.

We bolted it back on the car and it fits nice. All the holes line up properly, no fighting or swearing.

Before,

attachment.php

After.

attachment.php

Along the way, both off and on the car, I depeckered some of the peckering and smoothed a few hard lines... still a long way to go, but it'll get done with time and patience. (Though I'm mellowing with age, patience has never been my strong suit. :rolleyes:)

Before,

attachment.php

Now.

attachment.php

In the meantime, B-tard stripped the passenger fender, which is unmolested, straight and clean... except for some primer remnants and a small ding on the front end.

attachment.php

Now, we can get back to fitting the miserable tailpan...

Attachments

• body62.jpg
    body62.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 47
  • body67.JPG
    body67.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 46
  • body63.jpg
    body63.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 48
  • body68.jpg
    body68.jpg