1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Torchie, thanks for the tip. Since the box sides will have no reinforcing bead I will be using 18g steel. I'm not sure I could bend that four feet long. Will have to look into this method. Long enough lever and it should be good to go.

That is a nice tail gate. I will look into the price and shipping.

Thanks for the positive feed back guys.

Would it be too much work to bend the sides in 2 pieces each & weld them back together?
That way you could fit them in your brake.

Has CornfieldCustoms ever posted what he'd charge for making a tailgate from scratch? You could pick your lettering that way! :-D
-Chaz

SnoPro is right, the dollar and the shipping double anything I buy from US sources.

I talked to the metal contractor at work and he may be able to get the sides made including the rolled rail! We shall see.

SnoPro is right, the dollar and the shipping double anything I buy from US sources.

I talked to the metal contractor at work and he may be able to get the sides made including the rolled rail! We shall see.

Well that explains the $400 tailgate.:eek:
Would be nice if the guy could bend up your box sides for you. If he can't do the rolled rail edge you could do it the way that POPS did it on his Truck bed. Welded on pipe.
[P [P [P
Torchie.

Shipping across the border can be very expensive. If a company ships with UPS there is an additional "brokerage" fee of about $35 per piece shipped. If they ship with UPS I won't do business with them. It all seems like a huge gouge when I can get free shipping within Canada.the "brokerage" is to tell you there is no duty.[S

The $150 radiator I bought from Speedway was well over $300 by time it arrived in Alberta.

I have family in Phoenix and have stuff shipped there. Then the next person I know going down brings it up to Canada. Small stuff only though. :)

Shipping across the border can be very expensive. If a company ships with UPS there is an additional "brokerage" fee of about $35 per piece shipped. If they ship with UPS I won't do business with them. It all seems like a huge gouge when I can get free shipping within Canada.the "brokerage" is to tell you there is no duty.[S

The $150 radiator I bought from Speedway was well over $300 by time it arrived in Alberta.

I have family in Phoenix and have stuff shipped there. Then the next person I know going down brings it up to Canada. Small stuff only though. :)

Yeah, I avoid UPS as much as I can. FedEx and USPS/Canada post as much as possible. I'm wanting to order a bunch of stuff from Classic Performance Products for my '62 Bel Air but it's hard to justify the extra cost right now...

The funny thing about this is that it isn't one of our governments, its actually UPS. It isn't duty or tax, it is UPS charging a fee to tell you there is no duty or tax.[S And, its a back door fee. you don't know about it up front. Only after the product arrives.:mad::mad:

worked not he steering today

I had to build a new floor mount for the steering column. This is what I came up with. A few years ago I found a spit welder for cheap and put it to work today. I had a stainless steel hose clamp hanging around and put it into service for this.

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpg
    IMG_2406.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 36
I had to build a new floor mount for the steering column. This is what I came up with. A few years ago I found a spit welder for cheap and put it to work today. I had a stainless steel hose clamp hanging around and put it into service for this.

Well done! Very clever ... [cl

Great tool. I paid $75 for it. My wife thought I was a little insane when I got all excited and drove like a bat outa Hell to get it before some one else did.:)

Latest posts

Back