1934 Auburn build....my way

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok fellow onlookers,
I got the body mounted on 3/8 rubber/nylon conveyor belt and the frame in the engine compartment painted temporarily. I put he motor back in for the ???????time and have all of the doors aligned so as body lines matchup. I plan on having the front fenders at least bolted on , marked to fit around the headers and possibly even cut and welded back by the end of the night tomorrow. I am putting a couple pics up just to let you guys in on my insanity....I mean project accomplishments. Somewhere on here I read that without pics, It didn't happen. So.........[P

last pic is of remote oil filter I had to use to relocate due to the front axle and a Cadillac. who would of thunk it....[cl

Attachments

• FEB pic 013.jpg
    FEB pic 013.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 88
  • FEB pic 014.jpg
    FEB pic 014.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 82
  • FEB pic 015.jpg
    FEB pic 015.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 79
Hank, just found your build, great job. That car is a beauty. I tried to buy a 4 dr 34 Plymouth, love the lines on those cars. I'll be waiting for more progress.

Lookin good! I love cad 425/472/501 family engines. Are the lines on the oil filter remote mount made for oil? They look like heater hose which will break down and fail within 6 months with oil in them..Maybe I'm seeing them wrong..[P

Back at it today.....so here you followers go.....
Feb 7th….. Today I cut the fender wells to fit around the headers close to the front two cylinders on each side. The driver side went on good and I got it mounted. I continued down the driver side ,putting the running board and rocker panel in. I got it fit and lined up. Looks good.
The passenger side….well….not so great. I had to completely remove the alternator and all of the brackets. I am going to try and remount it in the center of the motor kind of like the old flathead set up. It will take some head scratching. I got the grill shell mounted also and am going to be tight to fit a large enough radiator in it to keep that big monster cool. Entertaining the thought of dual radiators if need.
I finished the day by putting the chrome valve covers on. I pulled the old covers and was really surprised to see that it was not gummed up and really clean. On the down side, someone had broken off one valve cover bolt on the passenger side, top, that had to be drilled and tapped. Overall, a great day.
here is the end of day pics.

Attachments

• fender day 2-7-15 002.jpg
    fender day 2-7-15 002.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 97
  • fender day 2-7-15 003.jpg
    fender day 2-7-15 003.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 91
  • fender day 2-7-15 004.jpg
    fender day 2-7-15 004.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 85
  • fender day 2-7-15 001.jpg
    fender day 2-7-15 001.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 73
More today.
I have been in a slump, trying to get a decent looking functioning alternator bracket fabbed. I finally decided to run two belts. One runs the water pump using an idler pulley, the other runs off of the waterpump to the alternator. I am hoping this will work properly and not give me any trouble down the line.
I also got the firewall welded in. It will eventually get covered in polished aluminum from the airplane yard. I scored a 4 x 4 sheet for $35 from a friend of mine. I plan on doing the dash in polished aluminum also. Might even turn it to absorb some of the glare. LOL. Here are a pic or two. let me know what you guys think. I really need some encouragement.
[P [P [P

Attachments

• fire wall 001.jpg
    fire wall 001.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 55
  • fire wall 002.jpg
    fire wall 002.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 50
  • fire wall 003.jpg
    fire wall 003.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 56
Looks good to me.
From looking at the valve covers from the front, will they fit under the hood on the front corners?

Me too!!! It's looking great brother.
The after market aluminum radiators are the only way to go in my
books. Not to expensive and do a great job cooing.
Good luck!

I have used champion ones in my last two builds. work great and don't break the bank. I am worried about room and size to cool the big caddy engine. I am down to limited space. Needless to say, the BOSS will help me and give me wisdom when I need it most.

Updates.......
I have chosen to use a vega steering box and cross steer this little darling. I got the new box in and am now waiting on a drag link. I aint smart enough to figure it so I had to wait to get it installed. Someday I will get smarter....maybe. I also went "buddy shopping" and scrounged a s-10 steering column from a buddy that only had about 40 thousand on it when it got rear ended. Good ole boy deal......free if I help mount a gas tank in his Packard. 20 minutes time.....great score. Iam now trying to figure the mount for the column then under dash brake pedal assembly. One step at a time....slow and steady.
thanks for looking. I need all the encouragement and input I can get. [cl

Updates.......
I have chosen to use a vega steering box and cross steer this little darling. I got the new box in and am now waiting on a drag link. I aint smart enough to figure it so I had to wait to get it installed. Someday I will get smarter....maybe. I also went "buddy shopping" and scrounged a s-10 steering column from a buddy that only had about 40 thousand on it when it got rear ended. Good ole boy deal......free if I help mount a gas tank in his Packard. 20 minutes time.....great score. Iam now trying to figure the mount for the column then under dash brake pedal assembly. One step at a time....slow and steady.
thanks for looking. I need all the encouragement and input I can get. [cl
I used the entire s-10 under dash hanger for the pedals and steering column. If you have the room, it is pretty easy, and everything is lined up like in the s-10. Then I did the trick with the Astro Van intermediate shaft and left over s-10 intermediate shaft to get the rest of the way to the gearbox. I ended up buying a piece of D-bar just to make it look cleaner, but it is all there if you are not so picky.

thanks for the input. Thought about that and not enough room by a little. I am going with an underdash brake pedal and a small double diaphram booster. Everything from here on out look like it will be TIGHT. cut and fit, cut two more times and probably still be wrong. that is half the fun aint it?

Latest posts

Back