around the shop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had to go teach at a class at Baileigh Industrial. i went up a few days early and hung out at my good friend Marks metal shaping school. i took a Miller body buck up for a fun little project to work on while helping him out around the school. this miller body is a replica of the winner of the 1923 Indy 500.

starting to make some of the rear panels

been a busy few weeks. had a job come in that kind of took over the shop for a few weeks. now i am getting back on track.

got in a chassis engineering center section kit. did not like how plain it looked. so started cleaning it up and belled the oval holes.

started cutting and fitting the boxing plates. the customer really likes the look of dimpled boxing plates but doesnt like the idea of stuff getting down in the rails. so i dimpled the plates, then cut and tig welded plates on the back of the dimples. so it has the look, but sealed up from the elements

test fitting up the center section to boxed rails

more progress to come soon on this one

this studebaker is in the shop for some work, there will be pics posted as it progresses

my buddies 56 chevy is for a new front suspension set up and some race prep for Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion

did some sheet metal work on a bike gas tank. used the english wheel to shape the new top. fine tunded the edges with a kick shrinker

then pre stretched the areas where the customer wanted some bead puts, to not distort the shape while doing the beads. then bead rolled

How could you NOT like that stuff??

Boxing plates and reinforcements look great....I'm sure the customer is a happy camper....dig the 55.....

finally back on this one after a long travel season and trying not to fall to far behind on customer work.

started to weld up the hood tops from where i section out the .625 in the front and wedge cut it back.

trimmed and fusion tacked with the tig

then fully welded with the tig, one end to another. before grinding the weld i planish out the weld in the planishing hammer to get the welded area back to some what straight

after some hammering, dollying, slapping, a couple hits with the shrinking disc. it was pretty good. then metal finished out with 80 grit sand paper and a red scotch brite.

pass side put back together

driver side done

will have more progress on this one over the next couple weeks

worked on the grill shell. some today. got one side welded up. and metal finished out. shaved the holes in the side, and welded up the seam from where i chopped the shell .250 of and inch

went to work on the other side and found a lot of little thin spots , which may have been from when it was ground and leaded back in the day. so i had to cut out the entire corner and make a new one. i over sized the new patch more than i needed to for the thin spots and removed the patch i did earlier so to only have one patch, instead of two. i wish i would have found the thin spots before patching the shell before, to save some time.

here is the patch tacked in and ready to tig weld up

Latest posts

Back