around the shop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being busy is good.. We're all happy your shop is doing well!

I still have that magazine on my desk at work if you want/need a copy let me know

so today i worked on my buddies RPU some. he wanted to add a 32 cowl vent to his cowl top. so i went to work on it
trimmed out the vent from brookeville

made a card board pattern of the shape of the panel, and a negative cut out of the vent to make sure i get it where i want it

scribed the cut line

all tig welded up

after some filing, hammering and dollying. and a trip through the planisher it is getting pretty close

and installed on the car

then moved on to putting on extended cab corners
stock corners

stockers removed

old rear pan taken out and extended rear pan installed

a little more progress on the RPU. reversed the fire wall and re shaped the bottom of it. wanted to make it look like it was made this way. not perfect but turned out pretty good
here is where i flipped the fire wall, making patches and patterns to smooth out the bottom of it

all patched and smoothed out

here is the back side with a new flange to make mounting the floor easier and a more factory look

and clamped in the car. just need to spot weld to the sides, weld along the bottom, and drill holes for mounting screws at the top

only got to spend a couple hours on cool hot rod stuff today
started off by making a new floor pan for under the seat bottom. 18 gauge steel, pre stretched the areas the bead rolling would be done to keep it flat.

then made a cover panel for over the tail shaft of the trans. made from on piece ,no welding was done. still pretty rough, needs a lot of finish work but ran out of time for the day on this one

a little progress on the RPU tonight. started making the floor pans and trans tunnel
floor pans cleco'ed in place

want to make the trans tunnel as small as possible since room is tight in this one. so i made some blisters in the tunnel for clearance. also had to make a blister to fit around where shifter comes out. so here are the basic steps i took to make the big weld on blister
blister laid out, the black line is the hightlight or edge line of the blister

using thumb nail shrinking dies in the recip. hammer. i shrink up to the black line

all the shrinking done

after a trip through the planisher

and all welded on. you can see all the other blisters formed in the tunnel, stills needs to be hammered and dollied and metal finished out, but that will wait until i get all the other panels made and fit up

Love the detail around the flange of the pieces [dr[cl:cool: So much nicer than a straight edge.

Pretty darn impressive!

photo2_zps92c457ec.jpg

a little more progress on the floor and tunnel

and made some new upper cowl braces. looks much better

and had a photo shoot with the Riley roadster i built last year for my new website i having done

started tig welding up the sides of the body

after a little grinding and some dykem for guide, and a pass with the file

hammered and dollied for a while. then hit it with the high speed sander with 80 grit

started with the DA on the top half, still need to work on the bottom some more. it is a tough spot to get to since i have to hammer left handed

Latest posts

Back