50 ford shoebox frt suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$arge

so i have a question fellas, i have a 50 shoebox, and i just read the aerostar coil replacement up frt which gives you about 2.5-3'' of drop.
ive never worked on a 50's suspension but which way would be the easiest to unbolt the a arm to get the coil out, under the king pin spindle that castle nut, or the inner arm 4 bolts under the engine?
p.s. this isint my pic but same same.... :D
thanks

attachment.php

well the comon way would be to take the spindle loose from the control arm . the springs will give you right at 2.5 inch's and makes it ride good . you might need to trim an inch off your rubber snubbers . and if that pic. is identical to yours it has the 1 inch spacers already installed between the spring seat and the control arm .

Since that's a kingpin suspension, it is probably going to be easier to unbolt the a-arm from the frame under the engine instead of wrestling with the king pins. Looks like you'll have to take off that sway bar either way.

The suspension on my '50 plymouth looked just like that and I found that was the easiest way.

Thanks for the help fellas, im still debating towards taking it apart thetraditional way of the spindle or by the nuts under the engine....ill take pics either way... LOL
are the 1'' spacers needed under the lower A-arm?

Which ever way you release the spring, be very careful. There is a ton of energy stored in them and I have had them come out at me and go bouncing across the floor. :eek: I HATE removing coil springs, even using good spring compressors. I even wrap a chain around them with a bolt through the links to keep the coils together in case something goes wrong.

Don

Latest posts

Back