question for the dodge Gurus

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch496

Im trying to find out what sort of rear end comes in a 79 lil red express.I know its equipped with a 3.55 sure grip or whatever they called there posi but I have no idea what rear it is.Dana60? 8 3/4? can anyone help me out?

I have a 77 4x4 1/2 ton that has a 9.25 rear axle. I am not sure what the lil red express had though.

Attachments

• dodge this small2.jpg
    dodge this small2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 24
thanks for the info

Im thinking of swappng this rear end into my 77 chevy half ton if it isnt to difficult a swap and is a good strong rear end

bolt pattern?

any idea on the bolt pattern? I guess I can just have it redrilled for the chevy bolt pattern

The "Lil Red Express" should have a bolt pattern of 5 on 5, The same as the Fords of the same year.

It shouldn't be too pricey to have the axles redrilled with the 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern.

the lil red wagon did not get a special axle all its own its just a regular 9.25 and 3.55's
and dodges always seemed really wide to me so check the width of the axles too

Last edited:
'79 Dodges and this includes your Lil' Red had the same bolt pattern as Dodge cars and Ford cars. They didn't get the Ford truck pattern til the early '80's, when the 4x4's required locking hubs that won't fit through the small holes in the center of the old wheels.

thanks

Thanks for all the info.I think Im going to keep the rear for my truck and the motor and transmission for a future project and Im not sure what with the rest of the truck.

Lil Red

I think I need a new home for the whole thing,I dont think Ill have time to be messing with it anytime soon.going to be concentrating on getting everything together for my elcamino

If the diff cover is the shape of a stop sign- it's a 9-1/4 (or 9.25) should have 3.55 gears. No Lil Red ever came with a Dana 60 rear.:D

don't forget that mopars have the drive train offset to the right. and is it really worth getting rid of the express? they're a pretty sought after item.

Latest posts

Back