axle flip on a 36 chevy pick up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycho Kustoms

anybody "flip" there front axle with a leaf spring front suspension?? i wanna go as low as i can and still keep the two leaf springs.BTW,its the stock I beam axle so its rounded at the bottom.any suggestions??

You have alot of options. I think I would build a pad that fits the curve of the axle and is flat on the bottom with the same hole pattern as the top, and just use straight grade 8 bolts. The thicker this pad is the lower you will go. However the further the spring is away from the axle the more leverage it will have to twist and flex the springs right at the pad. Eventually causing cracks in the springs if there is enough leverage. I think you would only see that with extreme thicknesses. Some of the old military jeeps were set up this way and used a cast iron pad that saddled the bottom of the round tube axle.

Excellent idea.im on it...any opinions on this set up in general? id like to keep this set up.i think it looks kool.i just dont see any.....maybe thats a good thing.what do you think?

I think the reason you don't see it is because of the leafs sticking out forward, past the radiator. It is not a bad look, but it depends on the body work you are running. Another way to go here is quarter elipticals.
It is really up to you.

Yes, a little more than half of the leaf. As you know, you have to suspend the axle, and locate the axle. This one is set up with quarter elipticals, and has more of a hot rod look to locate the axle.

Attachments

• zipper motorssmall.jpg
    zipper motorssmall.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back