Roll it on it's side.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakey56

Here is a tip. If you need to work on the bottom of your car body, you can get some big truck tire inner tubes and fill them with plenty of air. Roll the body over on them. It won't dent. Just be sure they have a lot of air in em.

Lynn

Good tip. I have also heard matresses stacked up will work, and there are tons of free matresses out there, no one wants used ones any more because of bed bugs. :eek:

Don

I like it. I am currently working on cab corners and could get better access with the cab on tubes. I have a couple of old fireproof blankets I'll toss over the tubes to prevent a leak[;) Mattresses and couch cushions are easy to get and hard to store or get rid of. I can use the tubes for tubin down the river in the summer;) Thanks for the tip:D

Sounds like it would work.Just wondering what do you roll it back on and not dent it.....just wondering?

When I did it, Doggone, I rolled it back in an upright position on a couple of 2x6 timbers sitting on floor jacks. You need extra hands to help guide everything. Then I put a jack under each end of the 2x6s and jacked up the body and rolled the frame under. There is probably a better way but that was all my little brain could come up with. LOL

But you gotta figure out how to get it back on no matter what you use...right?

Lynn

Rollover

Ah heck just roll it over who cares about a few more dings. Just kidding! Great idea and I like what Sam did too. I am lucky a pickup cab, a couple of buddies and it is on it's back. Steve

Ah heck just roll it over who cares about a few more dings. Steve

That's what I did! OK, it was a doner car and you don't see it here, but there was a nice chunk of steel holding it on the opposite side (crushed the door...more then a little)[ddd

IMG_0314.jpg

One of these days the bottom of my cars will be as nice as the tops and not just because i drove them till they looked that way

Rotator/Rotisserie

I have a rotator for that ... bottle jacks on each end, heavy duty casters, and safe! These other methods don't seem very secure.

440shorty

Sam....that doesn't look like a rat rod to me....

Uh... yeah, I used a come-along on hooked my ceiling to reduce the risk of getting flattened. I also had bars to protect the rockers/etc. kinda like this:

09rotiseriebottom.jpg

From here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=61731

Unibody, gas tank well, spare tire location.....what is it??? [S.....Kinda dig the wooden rocker idea...that....is creative thinking to the enth degree....

Here's the kind I am building. Inner tubes woulda been a lot easier...

Attachments

• TILT-A-RACK.jpg
    TILT-A-RACK.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 47
Rolling rotator

My buddy used to restore 55'-57' Thunderbirds and he made some round hoops from heavy gauge exhaust tubing. They were about 6' in diameter with attachments for the front and rear of the cars. He would jack up the car, hook up the hoops and roll the car around like a barrel. They worked real good for most everything that was needed under and around the body including paint. More good ideas from the guys at RRR. Steve

Latest posts

Back