Sheet metal bracing using conduit - Grille Shell, and other

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyrat

Got Fins?
I thought I would share something I am working on, I'll try to snap some pics soon.

When I need a brace to hold fenders, or rocker panels or even grille shells to make them more rigid, I've taken 1/2" conduit and cut it to length, flattened the ends in the vice, and drilled mounting holes and the ends can even be bent to match whatever you are bolting to as well.

Anyone else using conduit? Its dang cheap too, and easy to cut!

I thought I would share something I am working on, I'll try to snap some pics soon.

When I need a brace to hold fenders, or rocker panels or even grille shells to make them more rigid, I've taken 1/2" conduit and cut it to length, flattened the ends in the vice, and drilled mounting holes and the ends can even be bent to match whatever you are bolting to as well.

Anyone else using conduit? Its dang cheap too, and easy to cut!

I used it to brace up my cab during the top chop portion of our program. You can just see a glimpse of it inside the cab in this pic. Did the same as you DR and flattened the ends in a vise.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_2408.JPG
    IMG_2408.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 128
I just put two 1/2 " all-thread on two pcs, on angle iron .and bolted it to my door frame to keep it strait and (tweek it) if needed . when I cut my cab , because it was already (flimsy) because of some rust issues at the floor under the door .. in fact they are still there :D23-06-12_120.jpg in fact you can see the all-thread in this picture .. My son loves this picture .. he brags on his stomach muscles :D :D:D Oh , thats not a wall on the left :rolleyes:

I love this idea. I have been using 1/2 inch square tubing form some salvaged deck railings for small brackets and braces. The upside of the round tubes is that you can put the flat at any angle you need. Square tubing is a bit more challenging.

When I folded the wheel lips over and had to eliminate my bedside struts on my 63 gmc for the 36" mudders to fit I ran a length of conduit above the tire behind the panel with 3 ss bolts through the bed side.
Nobody ever said it looked bad. it was a pretty sano hack

Latest posts

Back