Best method to clean oil covered engine?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Looking for ideas on how to clean a totally oil covered engine.
I have a 3.9 liter Cummin's 4bt diesel I'll be pulling from a truck in a few weeks. Before it goes into a new truck,mit needs a solid cleaning. I would prefer to clean it to a point I can paint it as well.
It had a leaky valve cover for a long time so the entire thing is a greasy mess.
I do not need to disassemble the engine for any work, so dipping it is out of the question.

I was thinking of mounting on an engine stand, building a 2x4 frame around it and setting a tarp under it and scrape the majority off before moving to chemical cleaning. The 2x4 frame would creat lips around the perimeter to catch all the crqp and make disposal easier.

Anyone have a better method, and can reccomend a cleaner as well?
Power washing would be nice,must it will scatter grease all over the shop.
Not afraid spot scrub scrub scrub. But need a cleaner to break everything up.
Thoughts?

I sealed every thing up good and soda blasted my Dodge 5.9 Magnum.
It was the easiest clean up job I've ever done in 50 some years.
Then just blow it off and paint.

It really worked great and is my new works for me method.
Good Luck!!

I sealed every thing up good and soda blasted my Dodge 5.9 Magnum.
It was the easiest clean up job I've ever done in 50 some years.
Then just blow it off and paint.

It really worked great and is my new works for me method.
Good Luck!!

That's not a bad idea.
What kind of soda blaster?
Did it dust up the shop?
I wouldn't be opposed to making a floor to ceiling containment for that.

That's not a bad idea.
What kind of soda blaster?
Did it dust up the shop?
I wouldn't be opposed to making a floor to ceiling containment for that.

I ordered the 100lb pot from Jegs. relatively cheap and I've used the heck out it.
I blasted it outside. You would want to control it indoors I'd think.

Cast mag wheel cleaner works great. I use it to clean the engine in my semi. It's an acid, and will take the oil and grease right off when you pressure washer it off.

I've always used engine degreaser, parts cleaner brush and old tooth brushes. Then rinsed off with a hose. Next washed with dish washing liquid and hosed again. Blow off with air and spray down with brake cleaner. Clean as a pin and ready for paint. If there's any way to hook a hose to your hot water heater it works even better.

I use a product called Jolt, available in one gallon jugs at restaurant supply stores for my general purpose cleaning, some scrubbing on engines might help. Works on hands too.

cleanest engine I ever did was cleaned using foaming "Easy Off" oven cleaner.

it worked so well that the block started to rust as soon as I washed it off.

block paint stuck really well as the oven cleaner pulled all the oil out of the cast iron pores.

just be sure to do it out side as the fumes will melt your eye balls.

cleanest engine I ever did was cleaned using foaming "Easy Off" oven cleaner.

it worked so well that the block started to rust as soon as I washed it off.

block paint stuck really well as the oven cleaner pulled all the oil out of the cast iron pores.

just be sure to do it out side as the fumes will melt your eye balls.

Be sure to use the real thing. I've tried the cheap imitation and not so good.
Any particular reason no one mentioned good ol steam cleaning [S

engine covered in oil - don't want a big mess [S[S:eek:

Well, I think the idea is I don't want to blast grease and sludge all over the shop while trying to clean.

I think I'll Scrubbing Bubbles clean 2-3 times while the engine is in the truck, and spray off at car wash.

This should help clean it up enough to remove from the truck, and still be able to tell what ethnicity I am by the time it's out.
At that time, I'll easy off the whole thing.
Have a bunch of concentrated Simple Green. I think between all that, I think it'll be all bright and shiney.

Latest posts

Back