Ground clearance and protection

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckywingnut

I'm looking for suggestions and opinions. I had set my car up to have about 5-6" of ground clearance, but when I got it on the ground it settles to around 4 1/2-5". Now the question is, especially for the really low vehicles, do you use any kind of protection? I mean like a skid plate or like a bar underneath to protect any drivetrain components. The lowest part of my car is the oil pan, and I definitely do not want it to hit anything if possible.

I actually tore the drain plug off the oil pan in my Fiat. Was slowly going over a speed bump. Bought a pan with the drain plug on the side and welded a 1/8" thick skid plate to the lowest part of the pan.

See that's what I am afraid of. I was thinking of putting some kind of shield on the oil pan, but thought maybe a cross bar of some kind would be better.
Bob, how low was your car?

wingnut, not sure what car your working with, what ever hits the ground first needs to be protected if it's a vital part, as bob w said. My sprint is on bags and the first thing to hit is the front cross member, not a problem, does spark a little at night if i go to far :D

The engine looks like its sitting too low in the chassis.
I'd be for raising it up until the header collectors are about 3/4" below the body.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was going to raise the engine up, but could only get about 1-1/2" more clearance. I am going to change the oil pan back to a stock pan, which would give me another 1" of clearance. I could raise the suspension a little more too and get another inch or so. I am still more concerned about protecting the oil pan than getting more clearance. Around here the roads are terrible. You could drop into a 4"-5" pothole and take everything out.

Latest posts

Back