1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally to me it looks too tall. I'd suck the headlight bucket as far down as possible. I agree the square edge at the bottom isn't working.

One thing I do know, you'll find a way to make it look like it belongs and flows elegantly! [cl

My 2 cents.....
Too much mass. The og headlight stand was barely noticeable compared to this one.
I understand wanting to put the light in the stand, but.....
As snopro said I'm sure you will find an elegant solution.
[P [P [P
Torchie

All good input guys, thanks.
Plan B in progress!!
Cut the base plates way back and rounded the front edge. New position is 3" lower than stock - the previous location was 4" lower but farther forward, making the front of the pedestal too tall (and ugly). Now the lens will fit in better under the light I think. Got a couple extra holes in the fenders to weld up.... [;)

attachment.php
When you started I had envisioned the turn signal lens closer to the headlight bucket and the lower being more tapered to almost a point . I am sure you will figure it out.[;)[P[P

Two shapes fighting each other. Going to need to be wider at the light than at the fender, a V shape if you will.

O O
V V

Personally to me it looks too tall. I'd suck the headlight bucket as far down as possible. I agree the square edge at the bottom isn't working.

One thing I do know, you'll find a way to make it look like it belongs and flows elegantly! [cl

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1668.JPG
    IMG_1668.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 85
Started mounting the signal lens, needed to make a built up piece to fit the lens

attachment.php

Put a flashlight in behind, lens is not quite sitting in place, some trimming behind it needed.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 58
Have you gave thought on getting to the bulb to replace it yet? Just asking......

Oh DUH!! :eek:
Actually, yes - after I have the outside metal work done, I'll cut an big access hole in the base plate to attach mounting for the lens and a backing piece with light socket and to access wiring the whole assembly. Lotta work just to bring it all together but once they're all smoothed off (bondo) and painted, it should look kinda factory (pass it off as a factory option to the uneducated [ddd:D)

Have you gave thought on getting to the bulb to replace it yet? Just asking......
I had the same thought. Looks like at least three of us did. Its a bunch of work to be cool. One of those modern twist in sockets would work. Amber bulb?

Oh DUH!! :eek:
Actually, yes - after I have the outside metal work done, I'll cut an big access hole in the base plate to attach mounting for the lens and a backing piece with light socket and to access wiring the whole assembly. Lotta work just to bring it all together but once they're all smoothed off (bondo) and painted, it should look kinda factory (pass it off as a factory option to the uneducated [ddd:D)

When you're done it will be similar to the style of my 46 lights, where you could cut out everything but the necessary outside lip and whatever needed to mount it to the fender and leave the rest open.

On the park lights on my 46, the socket sits upright underneath the lens (but they do have a top 3 sides to the lens). I don't recommend upright sockets due to issues with water.

I had the same thought. Looks like at least three of us did. Its a bunch of work to be cool. One of those modern twist in sockets would work. Amber bulb?
I was wondering if someone would ask how the heck i was going to put lights in there..:)Yes amber bulbs, got some nice bright LEDs that will get ya noticed.

When you're done it will be similar to the style of my 46 lights, where you could cut out everything but the necessary outside lip and whatever needed to mount it to the fender and leave the rest open.

On the park lights on my 46, the socket sits upright underneath the lens (but they do have a top 3 sides to the lens). I don't recommend upright sockets due to issues with water.

Yep, that's the plan, hog out as much as possible for access, my fat fingers don't fit in tiny places... good tip on the sockets, water and 12volt don't mix too well :D

Got the skin tacked on the left side and the front part done on the other one. Looks like it's gonna work out...:)

attachment.php
the
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1685.JPG
    IMG_1685.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1687.JPG