Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok all you photoshop gurus. (I mean you Dr. Crank.LOL)
Looking for some one to photshop this center section from a 50 Dodge onto my custom.
The grill opening will need to be changed(Obviously)to get rid of the square corners. I'm thinking of a arch type opening, with some material under the hood lip as well as at the bottom of the opening to shorten the height. Maybe oval shaped?? Or oblong but with the corners rounded/softened. With the 50 Dodge grill centered up and down in that opening.
All help would be appreciated.
Torchie

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4384.jpg
    IMG_4384.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Me three. In fact, I'm holding my breath, waiting to see what artists will come up with. I need something as close to a '41 Plymouth as I can get. There's a '46 Dodge in my future, ---- with no grille.

Attachments

• IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 17
I assume you're looking to see the '50 center bar "floating" in your opening. (Poor choice of words, I know.)

Give me a straight on "square" shot of your car's front end. A square shot from a '50 Dodge would also help if you can find one. (I have visions of an Oldsmobile/Dodge mixture, but I can't do it without good pictures.)

I'll be away most of this weekend, Torchie. The wife and I will return late Sunday afternoon, if we don't slide into a ditch and perish in the cold... anyhow, I won't have time to mess with photos until I return. See ya Sunday, I hope!

I assume you're looking to see the '50 center bar "floating" in your opening. (Poor choice of words, I know.)

Give me a straight on "square" shot of your car's front end. A square shot from a '50 Dodge would also help if you can find one. (I have visions of an Oldsmobile/Dodge mixture, but I can't do it without good pictures.)

I'll be away most of this weekend, Torchie. The wife and I will return late Sunday afternoon, if we don't slide into a ditch and perish in the cold... anyhow, I won't have time to mess with photos until I return. See ya Sunday, I hope!

Thanks DR. Travel safe.
Here is a straight on of a stock 50 Dodge. Getting a straight on of mine will take a bit as I'm not stepping foot outside until this ice storm blows over.:eek:
I don't have any of the chrome above or below the grill center section. My first thought was to just mimic that in metal painted the body color.
But i'm also considering pancaking the hood which would change where the front hood lip would be.
I'm just looking fo a little something different(As usual) so I though that a total opening change might be in order.
Any one else that cares to chime in, please do so.
I'm doing this to keep from going crazy till the weather breaks......[ddd
Torchie

Attachments

• 1950-dodge-coronet-1.jpg
    1950-dodge-coronet-1.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 16
Me three. In fact, I'm holding my breath, waiting to see what artists will come up with. I need something as close to a '41 Plymouth as I can get. There's a '46 Dodge in my future, ---- with no grille.

Mac.
I could see something like this on your Dodge.
Plus it matches your moniker.:eek: :D [ddd
Torchie

Attachments

• 1265191-1948-mercury-woody-wagon-std.jpg
    1265191-1948-mercury-woody-wagon-std.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for the links.charliebob.
I haven't posted this question over on the CCC site yet. I wanted to see what you guys come up with first.[ddd :D
That 53-54 Mopar was one of the first to come to mind.
Torchie

Thanks for the links.charliebob.
I haven't posted this question over on the CCC site yet. I wanted to see what you guys come up with first.[ddd :D

Sorry, I did not intend to ruin up your [ddd plan!

I've been messing around with ideas for a 51 Dodge Wayfarer, which is my next project (if I have the energy and $$$ for it after the 39!). Removing the front bumper guards is an easy and fairly common first step for the 51-52, but the 49 is much different.

Anyhow, I am closely following your thread for ideas for my project! Thanks for starting the discussion.

Sorry, I did not intend to ruin up your [ddd plan!

I've been messing around with ideas for a 51 Dodge Wayfarer, which is my next project (if I have the energy and $$$ for it after the 39!). Removing the front bumper guards is an easy and fairly common first step for the 51-52, but the 49 is much different.

Anyhow, I am closely following your thread for ideas for my project! Thanks for starting the discussion.
No worries charliebob.:) I didn't post on the CCC site because I always feel bad when Rik does even a quick photoshop as that's how he earns his living. Kind of reminds me of people wanting me to come over to their house and help them cook for free when I was a working chef.:rolleyes:

Torchie, that grille has passed through my mind also. Here's the reason, hidden in my machine shed.

I can't find the picture of my '47 Merc.
Of course you have one mac. lol
I'm not 100 percent sold on that switch, but it was the first thing that came to mind.
Torchie

This is how we spend a 33rd wedding anniversary when snowed in....

OK gang....
Spent some time messing with grill ideas. Using the modern tech of tape and colored pencils I..... Well. You get my drift.:p
Pic 1. This is the stock opening minus any of the grill or chrome trim.
Pic 2. Grill opening now. roughly 39" x9-1/2" due to sectioning 3'.
Now bear in mind all of these use an un sectioned picture so adjustments would have to be made for that. Headlights will be french'd in as well so there will be no chrome trim ring around them. And bumper guards will be removed also.
Pic 3. This one would be about the simplest. No mods to hood. Upper chrome piece molded in and painted to match the body color.
Pic. 4. Same as 3 but with the hood corners rounded.
Pic 5. Stock pieces but opening shape changed. Kind of looks like a 46 Chevy.
Pic 6. Grill opening reshaped and a shortened version of the 50 center bar.
Pic 7-10.With this height of the opening now shorter I may just reshape the opening and go with a single floating bar. Kind of like this 53 Chevy Grill Guard. I am trying to do some thing different then the 53 Chevy teeth. Or a 46 Olds grill. I'd like to keep it all Mopar so maybe these 55 Windsor nostrils :eek: :D
Again. Sorry for the poor quality pics.
Lets hear it......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 27
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 13
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 18
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 19
  • s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 33
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 22
The 46 Chevy style grille doesn't fit your build.

Agreed OI. But in messing around it sort of came up.LOL
I'm not really sold on any of them at this point. I am giving serious thoughts to a drawer knob grill of some sort but haven't come up with a opening that I like either.
The search continues......
Torchie

Taking notes...

LOL. I thought you were AWOL good Dr.[ddd
I beginning to think that the grill on this thing will be the hardest part.:eek:
The new height of that opening is really leaning towards a SINGLE floating bar or at best. A few(3??) stainless tubes. But that still leaves the question of the shape. I'm hoping to get out there tomorrow or Sunday to get the other front fender and hood set in place and get a straight on front shot for you.
Torchie

Some more thoughts...
I have looked at many Custom 49-51 Mercs for grill ideas as that opening was made much smaller by moulding the whole thing in.
Some pics for inspiration.
The first two show the Ayala Brothers build for Al Glickman. They used a Canadian 1952 Ford Meteor Grill that was modified. My Clarkaiser 53 Ford Vic had a canadian meteor grill in it also. 4th picture
I wonder if Mercury Mac has any of these laying around????
The 3rd pic shows a simple, but effective multi bar grill.
Thanks for checking in on me.....
Torchie

Attachments

• P2050201-vi.jpg
    P2050201-vi.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 800px-'52_Meteor_Customline_V8_(Centropolis_Laval_'10).jpg
    800px-'52_Meteor_Customline_V8_(Centropolis_Laval_'10).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Bill-wolfe-1951-mercury-profile.jpg
    Bill-wolfe-1951-mercury-profile.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 16