'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No bloodshed mentioned, so that's good.

I like your valve cover trickeration.

I'm waiting for someone to make an early Olds engine look like a small block Chevy.

I was working on the sparkplug wire [steel] loom, if that's the right terminology. Anyhow, after a lot of Imagineering and trial and error, I have some of the wire holders made, but no pictures yet.
I'm surprised you didn't put 4 holes in the empty part of the cover and run the wires through them.

Bob, Yep, no bloodshed, so a good day. We have entirely too many SBC motors in hotrods as it is and not enough of all the other kinds. No way will I allow anyone to disguise an Olds as a Chevy. The other way around is almost acceptable, though.

Kenny, my original idea was to run the wires through the secondary cover, but then I wondered at how to get the wires off of the sparkplugs if I ever needed to. I would have to take the valve covers partly off, [I couldn't take them all of the way off because the wires would still be on the plugs].
Plan A was, leave it as a Poly; Plan B was the above described routing; and now I'm on Plan C, deceptive double routing. Are we having fun yet?

Today I smoothed put the valve cover some more with two coats of high build primer, [not really picture worthy]. I had cut out the positive ventilation system on this cover because its placement was annoying me. Unsightly as it was, it still needs to be on there somewhere, so I made a remote positive ventilation system that is suspended over the intake manifold, beside the valve cover. [hopefully, picture tomorrow].

Dang, OI, I never thought of that in time. The Hemi that I have in my '34 Plymouth had a draft tube that started at the back of the valley cover, so I converted that hole to the positive ventilation housing.
My Poly motor has evolved away from the Hemi, for ten years, so it doesn't have a valley cover and a bare place at the back of the block valley. The intake manifold covers it all, I think.

No, Guys, I'm just crochety about a SBC in every second hotrod.
Here are some pictures of the remote positive ventilation unit.
Except for attending a 'safety meeting' in a friends shop, not much happened today.
OI, you'll see in the last photo that the intake manifold covers the area at the back of the valley. I also checked my baby Hemi in the '34 Plymouth and it has the positive ventilation plug in the valley cover like yours does.

Attachments

• IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3074.jpg
    IMG_3074.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 18
Thanks Guys for your interest.
Dutch, that paint thing has been a concern of mine. I'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I had forgotten that today was 4-H public speaking day, so I went and listened to all of the club kids doing their speeches. All of my [mechanics] kids did well and showed confidence in themselves, so that was a good thing.

I cleaned up the really dirty bad exhaust manifold, freed up the heat riser valve, and installed it. So the manifolds are on. The valve cover is smoothed out some more and painted.

Here's what my vision of a cool valve cover was. The round rubber [fake] spark plug tube covers were eventually made out some thick gravel crusher conveyer belting. I lathed them down and glued them on there. The holes in the middle of them are about 5/16", but boring out rubber leaves a fairly small hole. Anyhow the spark plug wire is held in there ---- extremely well. In fact I had to make a machine to pull the wire through the big rubber plug.

Attachments

• IMG_3075.jpg
    IMG_3075.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back