Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If not, you can probably remove the vacuum canister from the intake and plug the hole with a plumbing fitting or even anything you can attach rubber hose to which you can plug with a bolt.

If not, you can probably remove the vacuum canister from the intake and plug the hole with a plumbing fitting or even anything you can attach rubber hose to which you can plug with a bolt.

Agreed snopro.
Hopefully it will come off without a fight. I'm trying to figure what this vacuum canister is for. That's the problem when you don't take them apart yourself. :eek:
I don't expect much progress over the next few days as a severe heat index warning has been issued for my area. 103 degrees :eek: That's not our normal temps for sure. Stay cool every one.
Torchie

Here you go Doc. I thought that I had posted these already but didn't see them in my past posts.[S
The vacuum canister threads into the intake as snopro pointed out.
The issue is the vacuum on the rear side of the carb (which I think controls a shutter on the OG air cleaner) hits the one on the manifold.
There is vacuum controlled crap all over this thing.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 25
The one in the intake is an EGR valve. You don't need it. Remove it any way you can and block it off.

The little one on the carb is a choke pull off. Leave it there.

I’d use starting fluid myself. It will burn out quicker so no problems over revving it or not being able to shut it down. And it won’t spray back all over you if it backfires, one quick fireball and it’s gone where gas may go everywhere before it ignites:eek:.

Had a buddy go to another guys shop to get something. Whatever he was getting was blocked in by his race car. Key was in it, so he jumped in and cranked it, backed it up, got what he went for and left. When he carried it back later that day, his buddy was home. His buddy wanted to know how he moved his race car, he told him. He then carried him over to the work bench, there sat the carb! Looked under the hood, the gas line was stuck down in the intake! He said he wondered why he couldn’t get it to idle down!

Chevrolets are like that, yeah they are...[ddd:D

The one in the intake is an EGR valve. You don't need it. Remove it any way you can and block it off.

The little one on the carb is a choke pull off. Leave it there.

Yep, EGR valve. Last one I blocked off I cut an aluminum plate, drilled a hole in it, sealed it with Ultra Copper Permatex, and bolted it down.

Despite the heat i was out working on the Olds this evening as I don't often get help.
This is what we found out..
My friend jacked up the car and slid under it to ID the trans. He says it's a 200-4R. Based on the shape of the pan and the number of bolts.
So much for a TH 350 or a 700 R 4.:eek:
On to the engine...
Put a charged battery on it, turned the key and.........Click :(
Starter is either seized or the soleinoid is shot. He confirmed that the engine does turn over by hand though.:)
We checked the casting numbers and the way that he saw them show the engine to be a 86 and up 350. Could be 2 bolt or 4.
We also checked the numbers on the intake and they say the same thing.
We ran the vin and it showed that this came originally with a 305 and a TH 350.. The engine is a transplant for sure.
So much for the 70's 350- 4 bolt info for the PO.:p
The good news is that the frame is indeed solid and that's really the reason I got the car to begin with.[cl
I put my mispent youth to work and broke open the trunk. No dead bodies. Just a couple of tires, one with a reim that matched the ones on the rear.
That's about it for now.
It's weather like this that reminds me of just how much I miss baking 12 hours a night. That's a not joke.:p [ddd
Stay cool everyone.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
Nothing wrong with a 200-4R. If it's in good condition, you still have a good, capable overdrive trans.

2 bolt mains or 4 bolt mains mean nothing, unless you're building a 10 000 RPM screamer...

Again, I agree with Dr. Crank, totally.
I have a story for you about the 'two/four bolt mains' conundrum. The Hemi I have in my '34 Plymouth was a 270 ci with two bolt mains. It came out of a gravel truck and the owners nickname was 'Cannonball', so you can guess how it was driven all day. The rebuilder/shyster did quite a bit of machining to the block and dug up some four bolt caps, all at great cost to the customer. The customer was going to put this stock gravel truck Hemi in a motorcycle. He thought the motor was tough enough, before, and wouldn't pay the bill at the shysters place. The rebuilder/shyster should have been shot and then put in jail. Sometimes you can get by with two bolt mains.

Nothing wrong with a 200-4R. If it's in good condition, you still have a good, capable overdrive trans.

2 bolt mains or 4 bolt mains mean nothing, unless you're building a 10 000 RPM screamer...

No complaints here Doc. And I apologise if that post came across that way. It was a long ,hot ,day.
I agree about the 200 4R. Actually I think it's a bit of an under rated trans.
And as far as the 2-bolt vs 4 bolt. I have never bought into that anyways. The whole "4 bolt main is so much better" was a marketing tool that GM used. I know of many screamers built with just a 2 bolt block. I never saw one drop a crank.(No offense ,DR.[ddd )
That 301 that I am helping to build is a 2 bolt Block. And It'd really going to be a "Screamer":D
Like I said. I really only bought this Olds for the frame. Anything that is useable after that is all gravy.:D

Again, I agree with Dr. Crank, totally.
I have a story for you about the 'two/four bolt mains' conundrum. The Hemi I have in my '34 Plymouth was a 270 ci with two bolt mains. It came out of a gravel truck and the owners nickname was 'Cannonball', so you can guess how it was driven all day. The rebuilder/shyster did quite a bit of machining to the block and dug up some four bolt caps, all at great cost to the customer. The customer was going to put this stock gravel truck Hemi in a motorcycle. He thought the motor was tough enough, before, and wouldn't pay the bill at the shysters place. The rebuilder/shyster should have been shot and then put in jail. Sometimes you can get by with two bolt mains.
Stories like that remind us all why we do as much of our own work as possible,Mac.
I only paid to have one engine rebuilt in my life time. It was a 394 out of my wife's 64 Olds Starfire Convertible. I was working way too many hours and we had a new baby, so no time. But I knew the builder and watched and checked what he did like a hawk. It all turned out good, but I'm sure he was glad to get rid of me.:eek:[ddd
Torchie

Hot as the dickens again today but got out into the shop this morning.
Decided to make some filler dust instead of saw dust.[ddd
The compressor is still not working correctly so I just gave the DS another skim coat and did some long board sanding on the PS.
Felt sort of crappy so I took my BP. 94/45:eek::eek:
Decided it was a good time to stop. Then my friend came over and I "Supervised" him putting new plugs in his Camaro.
What a PITA.
1994 with a 600HP LT 1 engine with headers.
I believe he invented a few new swear words.[ddd :D
That's all for now folks......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 28
And I thought my BP got low now and then. Good your watching it [cl
I hate changing plugs on any thing older than about a 96:cool:

Take care and stay cooool, if possible. [P

I hate changing plugs on any thing newer than about a 69 :cool:

Take care and stay cooool, if possible. [P

There, I fixed it for you soltz ![ddd

My 88 Firebird you might get two plugs out the top, the rest have to come out from the bottom. No way to even see them from up top.:(

There, I fixed it for you soltz ![ddd

My 88 Firebird you might get two plugs out the top, the rest have to come out from the bottom. No way to even see them from up top.:(

Yep. WE (He ) got the back one on the PS from underneath.
The headers on this car make things harder then they already are. But it's screamer.:eek: :D :p
Chirps in every gear.:D [cl :cool:
Torchie

Check out my new (To me) Iron lung...

Finally was able to find the time to go and pick up my new to me compressor. (And some of you guys thought me old stuff was old...:eek: [ddd ).
Loaded and unloaded this beast with the skinny guy in the one picture using only armstrong power to get it onto the lift gate as well as the center of the truck bed. And then back onto the lift gate and off to the floor.
Sometimes us one legged guys just got to do stuff like this.
Next step is to get it in its position and then wired in.
Looking forward to having a compressor that can keep up.
Thanks for checking in on me.......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 22
My youngest son had a 94 Firebird; I despised working on that thing. I wonder what GM engineering genius decided the engine should be 50% recessed underneath the dashboard?

Latest posts

Back