Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tech Tips!

Tech Tips! Share your kool tech tip.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsrods View Post
That's a great point. We also find that if we plug the mig straight into the wall vs using our 15 ft extension cord the welds turn out much better.

Don
that never occured to me but it makes sense my little air compresor wouldnt turn when i hooked a 50 foot extension cord to it. i think i will use my heavy duty homemade extension cord when im mig welding from now on thanks

i totally agree on the good clean ground i use a magnetic ground when im welding on my cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJunktionMike View Post
See you rattle his tree and he falls out and gets back to work
Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Brother Rat

I use a 10 gauge 20ft extension as much as possible. A long or small cord will cause voltage drop which is hard on power tools.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 PM
justsomeguy

Sam,

Assuming you are plugged into a 220V 30A outlet, you could probably run a 100' extension cord and not see any change in performance. That extension cord is probably the same gauge wiring as run from your power panel and your extension cord is just acting as an extension.

Can I ask what type of welder (model and brand) you are using?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

No, we have a very heavy duty, welder specific 15 foot extension and there is a noticable difference in power when we use it vs just plugging the welder into the wall. The welders are a Miller 210 and a 212. When we are doing some very thick steel we move back to where the wall plug is to get as much penetration as possible. I mean, it isn't to the point of being a weak weld with the extension, just a slightly noticable voltage drop.

Don
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 AM
justsomeguy

Don,

I need to clarify. I meant a longer heavy extension cord, like you are using now. Not just some homeowner type you would use on Xmas lights.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

since we are on the subject of welding in general. also make sure your ground clamp is clean too and not buggerd up with slag and corrsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJunktionMike View Post
See you rattle his tree and he falls out and gets back to work
Old 11-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Brother Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Sam,

Assuming you are plugged into a 220V 30A outlet, you could probably run a 100' extension cord and not see any change in performance. That extension cord is probably the same gauge wiring as run from your power panel and your extension cord is just acting as an extension.

Can I ask what type of welder (model and brand) you are using?
That's what I have for 110v - mostly for my contractor saw, but worked well with my 135 welder too. For 220v30A, (only for my welder), I have a 20' length of 10/3 UF.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Fear View Post
That's what I have for 110v - mostly for my contractor saw, but worked well with my 135 welder too. For 220v30A, (only for my welder), I have a 20' length of 10/3 UF.
That's plenty . You will only get about 1-2% of voltage drop per 100' of cable you use. I use 8/3 wg only because I had it laying around. I made a 30 extention cord out of it.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Brother Rat

Do the plugs cause voltage drop? I could see that being a bigger problem with 110v - those plugs always seem to go in fairly loose, but 220v usually stays tighter.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 PM
justsomeguy

It's the length of wire that causes it. Too much resistance. It's like losing some water pressure over a very long run of pipe.