Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tech Tips!

Tech Tips! Share your kool tech tip.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 AM

Default Solution for squealing belt

Does your belt still squeal even after you tightened the hell out of it? Try putting some brake fluid on it (preferably with a rag/shop towel as to not make a mess), make sure there is an even layer around the whole belt & I bet you it'll stop squealing. Tried it & it worked for me.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Chrome or billet aluminum pulleys are famous for letting the belts slip. I guess it is because the surfaces are so smooth they have no tooth to them.

Do you think the brake fluid will shorten the life of the belts ? Reason I ask is that I used some belt dressing on the serpentine belt on my daily and it make it gummy and I had to replace it.

Don
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'

Default Yep...that was my thought as well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsrods View Post
Chrome or billet aluminum pulleys are famous for letting the belts slip. I guess it is because the surfaces are so smooth they have no tooth to them.

Do you think the brake fluid will shorten the life of the belts ? Reason I ask is that I used some belt dressing on the serpentine belt on my daily and it make it gummy and I had to replace it.

Don
I can remember a time that people used brake fluid on the sides of their blackwall tires like armour all....not good for the rubber...I'm sure that the fluid makes the rubber more sticky...hence the reason for it not squeeling....
sometimes sanding the pulls helps or the ribbed belts sometimes are better for no noise than the solid ones.....JMHO>...
Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Use belts made in the USA
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Ol school snake charmer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpontiac View Post
I can remember a time that people used brake fluid on the sides of their blackwall tires like armour all...
Yep, I used to do that......made'm look like new! Probably wasn't good for them but it didn't matter since my tires were usually worn out when I got them.

When I was in high school a friend of mine had a '69 Super Bee and even though it was only about 5 years old it was pretty ragged out from being flogged on a regular basis. He worked at a convenience store down the street from my house and usually got off work at midnight. One night I walked down and met him and we were going to go flog the Super Bee around town. It was low on oil so he topped it off and I pushed him across the parking lot to start it......weak battery........ when it fired it up the fan belt started squealing like crazy. Not being the smartest guy in the world, he grabbed a quart of oil from the rear floor board and dumped some on the belts..........they shut right up A few blocks away the lights started getting dim and it started overheating.......we both walked home that night.

My Current Off Topic Build Paradise Road First House on The Right

"Sometimes a right proper choking is "just what the Doctor ordered". " -- Dr. Crankenstein

"......... Ratrodsrule.com. A hot rod refuge from the vulgar, the crass and the profane." -- bob w

"I need to get my front bumper calibrated. It makes more of a BANG!!! type noise." -- Flipper
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpontiac View Post
sometimes sanding the pulls helps
Coarse sandpaper on the "traction" sides of a running V-belt cuts off the hard glaze. (Watch your fingers.) A shot of the old lady's hairspray works, too. (Both short term solutions. Long term: Buy a new belt.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsrods View Post
Hmmm. Back in my racing days, we spilled 80W oil on a brand new blower belt. We cleaned it up with Brake Kleen (TM) and it looked fine. When we fired the beast, the belt started to delaminate. Bits of rubber flung off at ballistic speed and ribbons of kevlar threatened to remove unwanted limbs.

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I used to hold a flat file on a running belt to break the glaze. Then rub some brake fluid on. I don't remember how well it worked. That was 30 some odd years ago.

Offroadrolls build:

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23696

42 Chevy PU build:
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthr...ht=42+chevy+pu
Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

We always used liquid dish soap or ran a bar of soap against the belt. It's a temporary fix tho.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Busted and Rusted on Route 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21willys View Post
We always used liquid dish soap or ran a bar of soap against the belt. It's a temporary fix tho.
I've used this method. Seems to work for quite awhile.

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."

34 Ford Coupe
51 Ford F1
50 Stude Champ
Intro
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM

I found that basically all cheap belts squeal no matter how tight. Autozone, Dayco, and the like are terrible.
Get good quality Gates belts if possible.

And don't over tighten belts, it will eventually ruin your accessories bearings. And I have heard it will ruin your #1 main bearing and crankshaft in extreme cases.