Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tech Tips!

Tech Tips! Share your kool tech tip.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Brake fluid

I believe the brake fluid will not damage the belt because most brake seals are made of rubber. We all know that we NEVER let an oil based product touch our brake components. So if it stops the squeal, why not? Just a thought. Steve
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Glycol ether based brake fluid will not damage rubber. Most belts today have little if any rubber in them, they are most likely made from urethane. Glycol ether is a key ingredient in most urethanes... I'm not a chemist, chemical engineer or scientist, but I did work in a urethane products research lab for 4 years. So, based on my limited knowledge... solvents that are used to make a material are also used to break down those same materials. Which is why brake fluid cracks the side wall of many tires, damages paint when it comes into contact with it and on so on. Passenger car tires have been made from urethane for a very long time and most have been rubber free for just as long and I'm going to guess the same is true with accessory drive belts.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
The Hot Rod Cop

the squealing noise on belts is the belts grabbing then slipping over and over again. It is a misconception that you want the belt to be "sticky" to grab the pulleys better. This actually makes the issue worse. As the belt wraps around the pulley it will always stretch and move on the contact surfaces. The "stickier" they are the worse the squeak. Think of wet sneakers on a tile floor. At the dealership we would hit the belt with brake clean, hit it both sides with a wire brush and then put a small dab of the silicone high temp brake grease on both sides. Just a small dab on the tip of your finger the size of a peanut M&M or smaller. The belt will not slip due to the tension but it will slide into and out of the pulley groves with no squeal. And it is a lasting fix. Side note though, make sure your pulleys are all lined up right. If one is out of line it will squeal all the time. Worse with serp belts.

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

"all the ones I find around here are as solid as tin foil....." Neverdone

Giffins Performance custom CNC plasma cutting, home of the LSX swaps!

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'

Default Interesting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfg455 View Post
the squealing noise on belts is the belts grabbing then slipping over and over again. It is a misconception that you want the belt to be "sticky" to grab the pulleys better. This actually makes the issue worse. As the belt wraps around the pulley it will always stretch and move on the contact surfaces. The "stickier" they are the worse the squeak. Think of wet sneakers on a tile floor. At the dealership we would hit the belt with brake clean, hit it both sides with a wire brush and then put a small dab of the silicone high temp brake grease on both sides. Just a small dab on the tip of your finger the size of a peanut M&M or smaller. The belt will not slip due to the tension but it will slide into and out of the pulley groves with no squeal. And it is a lasting fix. Side note though, make sure your pulleys are all lined up right. If one is out of line it will squeal all the time. Worse with serp belts.
Will keep that in mind....hadn't thought about the sneaker example....so why is belt dressing sticky?? I hate the stuff cause it never works for any length of time....(I know...to sell more belt dressing as it squeals again)..but seriously, why is it tacky if that isn't the issue?? Hard to imagine anything slick not slippiing.....
Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 PM
The Hot Rod Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpontiac View Post
so why is belt dressing sticky?? I hate the stuff cause it never works for any length of time.....
You just answered your own question there SGT. (Thats why you get the big bucks!) Don't think of the belt as super slick and totally lubed up. It is just enough to make a thin coat. Most accesories have a 1/2 wrap or more on the pulleys so there is plenty of contact area. There isn't enough drag on any one accesory to over come the the belts friction.

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

"all the ones I find around here are as solid as tin foil....." Neverdone

Giffins Performance custom CNC plasma cutting, home of the LSX swaps!

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM

Thanks JFG, I learned something worth while right there! I'll try it on my 66 Cadi tomorrow. It has 3 belts, and have a heck of a time figuring out which one is squealing. I'll attest, the belt dressing doesn't last!