Cheap and effective hand cleaner.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

A lot of you may know about this one already, but in case you don't........

Like everyone else, I have gone through gallons of Go-Jo and Fast Orange hand cleaner over the years. It works ok, but is getting pricey. My son put me onto something that actually works better than the store bought stuff. What you need are:

1) A dishwashing liquid like Dawn. But I buy the green one at the dollar store and it is just as good.

2) Baking Soda. Again, I buy it at the dollar store.

Put some dish detergent in your dry hands, then pour on a little baking soda and rub vigorously. You may only need to add a very little water. You will see the dirt and grease start to come off and when you rinse your hands they will be spotless.

If you have dish detergent and baking soda at home, try it the next time your have grimy hands. It also leaves your hands softer.

Next week I will give you all a recipe for blueberry muffins ! :D:D

Been using Dawn for years...[cl[cl[cl

Me too! The wife will buy some girly off brand & wonder why I won't use it! Nothing works better than Dawn... definitely gonna try adding baking soda now! How about a good peanut butter or oatmeal cookie recipe Don?!? [ddd

BoB

I tried the Dawn and soda. It work very well thanks [cl:cool:

Glad it worked well for you too. IMO, it is as good or better than the ones you buy, and if you do the dollar store routine , it is super cheap and goes far. Just a little of each part in the hand is all it takes.

I think it is also better for the drains in the house/shop. We had a plumber come in one time to remove roots from our shop drain, and he said it he finds someone has been using something like Fast Orange, he can not get the stuff out of their drains, it turns to concrete. I don't think the baking soda will have that problem.

Now, about those brownies.................. :D

I imagine someone will remind me about how you are not supposed to get used oil on your skin, but I use used trannie fluid, especially if I'm just wanting to get the grim off to pack a wheel bearing or something like that.

I imagine someone will remind me about how you are not supposed to get used oil on your skin, but I use used trannie fluid, especially if I'm just wanting to get the grim off to pack a wheel bearing or something like that.

If you're packing bearings by hand, just wear gloves. $5 for a box of 100. Problem solved while avoiding unnecessary carcinogens and general mess. Time saver too.

Just last night I helped my one son start pulling the 454 Mercruiser out of his boat so we can replace it with a fresh motor. When we were done, my hands were really grimy, especially under my nails. I went to the sink, did the soap and baking soda routine, and the stuff even worked it's way under my nails and got them 90 % clean. It seems that combination kinda has a foaming , chemical reaction that eats away at the grease.

I have also found that the more baking soda you put into the mix, the better it cleans.

I've also taken to using nitrite gloves from HF. Started using them to handle my cow's fly spray but I use them on oil changes & stuff like that too... especialy if it's gonna be a greasy job!

BoB

I've also taken to using nitrite gloves from HF. Started using them to handle my cow's fly spray but I use them on oil changes & stuff like that too... especialy if it's gonna be a greasy job!

BoB

Yep, me too, Bob. I buy the same ones, but I find it hard to do certain jobs with gloves on, and I am old fashioned. :eek: But when I am working with certain greases or chemicals, I do put them on.

I found this stuff a few years ago. It's not cheap but, definitely the most effective hand cleaner I've ever used.

attachment.php

McMaster Carr doesn't carry it any more. They replaced it with this stuff. It's OK but no where near as good as Power Gold.
attachment.php

I found Power Gold at Uline and bought a case. That'll last 2 years.

Attachments

• IMG_4359.jpg
    IMG_4359.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4358.jpg
    IMG_4358.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 39