Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Welding/Metalworking... Talk & Q&A

Welding/Metalworking... Talk & Q&A Get your torch, braze, hammer, tig or mig on here!

Old 01-02-2018, 01:46 PM

Default 41 plymouth coupe build

I'm doing a 41 ply. coupe for a customer,putting heidts front end in it, using a 318/727 trans combo,motor is at machine shop and so is trans, if anybody has done one of these with small mopar motor, can I get an idea of how much firewall set back i need? would like to keep moving on this instead of waiting for the motor and trans and eliminate installing and removing if I can.thanks,any help would be appreciated,happy new year and have a great day.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Not sure I'd want to guess at that measurement!

Toad
Old 01-05-2018, 11:11 PM
Builder Junky!

Imca, I measured up a couple of small block Dodges today, for you. A 1975 Plymouth with a 318 and I think 727, and a '55 Merc truck with a 360 and 727. From the firewall to the front of the fan was 30" on the driver side just above the valve cover. The backside of the distributor was behind the drivers valve cover about 1 1/2", but there is usually a dent in the firewall in the middle that will give you some extra room. I have a fan spacer of 1 3/4" in front of the water pump pulley, and it looks like I could cut 1 1/2" out of that spacer and still let the fan turn. While you have the water pump pulley off check aggressively for cracks between the bolt holes. It seems like maybe the factory pressed tin ones are a little light.
I would like to see a few more pictures of the car as they are extremely pretty. Keep up the good work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1245.jpg (133.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:42 AM

thanks mac for the info,hoping I don't have cut up the firewall,was hoping someone on here has done one of these and could give me a little info as to how much I would need to set the firewall back ahead of time before installing motor/trans.,but I may ne able to use that measurement and mock it up with the radiator in place.thanks again.