Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 03-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
Two people sure makes it easier but just a round wheel will put you close enough to do small runs. Working with large pieces I have to call a buddy in. Motorizing them makes good sense if you use them a lot. Mine mostly collects dust... and motorizing mine puts more junk in my way.
I remember a discussion on motorizing these critters from ancient times, but couldn't find it in the first 15 pages. I have a suitable wheel or three around the shop, so I will try that first.

And my sincere apologies to the good Doctor for jacking his most interesting thread.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
And my sincere apologies to the good Doctor for jacking his most interesting thread.
No problem, Skip. We can kick bead rollers around for a while!

Clearly, we're not breaking any new ground... just following good examples from smart, crafty persons who've done this before.

Now, we have a tool that works quite well, the gears naturally turn and thoughts of further modifications run the gamut. Dickstein thinks he can devise something hands free and 100% mechanical, foot driven with a pedal or treadle or something...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 03-13-2018, 12:46 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
No problem, Skip. We can kick bead rollers around for a while!

Clearly, we're not breaking any new ground... just following good examples from smart, crafty persons who've done this before.

Now, we have a tool that works quite well, the gears naturally turn and thoughts of further modifications run the gamut. Dickstein thinks he can devise something hands free and 100% mechanical, foot driven with a pedal or treadle or something...

Cool. I wana see that.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:20 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Here's a couple pictures of my Princess Auto bead roller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize of Floor,beadroller 008.JPG (92.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Resize of Floor,beadroller 009.JPG (99.4 KB, 34 views)

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:15 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

The motorized version is definitely an upgrade and a breeze for one person to operate the equipment.

I purchased this Baileigh 36" throat bead roller several years ago and have been pleased with it.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I have heard good things about the Baileigh as well OI.
I have seen pics of people that have built tables around them to support the sheet metal so that it is even easier for one person to feed the metal and operate.
Torchie
Old 03-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

not being able to adjust one of the shafts sure limits use.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:38 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
I have heard good things about the Baileigh as well OI.
I have seen pics of people that have built tables around them to support the sheet metal so that it is even easier for one person to feed the metal and operate.
Torchie
That's the first thing I done was build a work shelf.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Rocket Surgeon

We played with the bead roller today. We started with a small piece (license plate size: 6" x 12") and quickly realized a couple of issues...

- Issue one: Tiny tight radius corners are difficult and create some gouges when you force the turn.

- Issue two: Patterns should be laid out in the correct orientation... if not, you get a reversed "print". (Oops!)

This is the back side of the small piece...looks OK, but the raised bead is on the other side, along with the die gouges and reverse image.

Back-tracking a little... I figured if we could work a small, tight piece fairly well, a larger piece should be easier... so, we tripled the size, drew the pattern in reverse and enlarged the corner radius to make it more manageable and avoid the gouges...

Not too terribly bad for a pair of professional idiots. We missed the mark here and there, made some crooked straight lines and the result is a bowtie somewhat resembling a baked cookie. (Practice is clearly required to create a work of art, but we're not concerned with art at this point.)

We turned our attention back to the car and the floor pans. As I mentioned previously, we found a couple well-disguised patches. As you might expect, the patches hid and probably contributed to a larger issue than they were meant to "repair".

We removed the tar-like slather and fiberglass... found a fairly small hole surrounded by perforated thin metal you could use to wrap a potato. We peeled it back to something solid and we now have a hole you could throw a cat through...

The hole (whole) section of the pan will be removed and replaced. The other side is different but similar. The bead roller should serve this repair well.

One last note: The pan is surprisingly complex. It's far from flat and has a depressed "well" of sorts, right where it's rotted away. We're convinced this is the source of the problem as the section has clearly rusted from the inside out...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1002.JPG (182.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0994.JPG (137.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.JPG (171.3 KB, 60 views)

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 03-18-2018, 11:58 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

That was a good result on a first time run.
On tight corners, they have what is called Artisan dies to do artsy stuff.