Are the bell housings the same?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken47int

One of my friends messaged me today and told me he now has a 440 olds with a turbo 400. I haven't had a chance to go look at it. Will that trans still fit on to a Chevy small block, or are the bell housings different? I think I know the answer but still not sure I've never worked on anything olds, but I still need a trans and that's the one I'm looking for and I'm sure the price will be right

Different

Buick olds and pontiac are the same but wont bolt directly to a sbc, i think 2 bolts will go in. I did have a 81 pontiac 301 with a unibolt housing, but im not sure what years they did this or if it was one someone bought and put it in

Oops 455 olds. Thanks for the input and the summit link for the adapter plate (dr c) I might have a trans now. Depending on what he wants for the trans. Now I'm wondering if it would just be better to just find a Chevy trans??

grab it and resell it. The bop (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) transmission cases are getting hard to come by. The chevy ones are a dime a dozen.

the unibolt patterns were common late 70's through the 80's propabley rare now usually were 200 and 350's may have beena few 700R4'S

Hey, Sarge! Good to see you!

I've used the adapter several times, like Doc posted, they work quite well.

I've never had the pleasure.

I'll assume an adapter is not too thick... as it must set the bellhousing back the thickness of the adapter... it would also, then, draw the converter an equal distance forward to the flex plate. Is anything done or required to compensate for pump engagement, or does it matter?

It's an 1/8" thick and doesn't really require any additional spacers.
You can space the torque converter at the flex plate but, I haven't had to on the ones I done.

Thanks, OI. There's no substitute for experience and I respect your opinion on any subject. :D

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Ken47. I hope the discussion here helps you decide.

Speedway sells one for $40
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chevy...gn=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CISzvsylgs8CFQqpaQodzXkIKw
91628908_L.jpg

Latest posts

Back