Smaller HEI ignition

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
I thought I would share this. I did this almost 20 years ago and just found the photos. I built a 1951 Dodge M-37 and installed a Chevy small block and a bunch of other modifications. But the one thing I did that seemed to work very well was putting the Working parts of a HEI distributer inside an old points distributer. I didn't have enough room to drop in the HEI against the fire wall and wanted to avoid cutting it all to hell.

Here are some pictures of the result and some of the process. The spring plate is the one from the point distributer, and the star wheel is from the HEI. just a little file work in the drill press and touched it with the TIG to hold it all together. The metal rod is a piece of distributer shaft used for a jig. It comes out then you just put the distributer shaft into the thing and assemble as per usual.

The pick up is in the distributer, the module is in the grey box, and the HEI coil was mounted on its side with the guts of a spark plug glued into where the rotor made contact to make a remote coil. I just used a hack saw to cut off all of the wire terminals. Ran it for ten ears and never had to do a thing to it.

Thought some of you might be able to make use of this idea in a tight space. I was to cheap to buy a MSD in the day

Attachments

• M-37-3 34.jpg
    M-37-3 34.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 83
  • M-37-3 36.jpg
    M-37-3 36.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 81
  • M-37-3 38.jpg
    M-37-3 38.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 73
  • M-37-3 39.jpg
    M-37-3 39.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 72
  • M-37-3 40.jpg
    M-37-3 40.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 68
here is a picture of the truck in use. That isn't me on the shovel, but I sure did appreciate that fella getting on it.

Attachments

• stuck M-37.jpeg
    stuck M-37.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 31
Did one close to that. Only I built up the bottom side of the dist with metal-set (a two part epoxy that machines well). Then turned it flat and mounted the module there. Its still in my old Camaro, it"s just my daughters now.

Latest posts

Back