Mini Tech - Hidden Hardware *pics*

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
Whenever possible, I like to hide the hardware on my project for a cleaner look. Here is just one example of how to do so. This is a simple dash piece, but the same principle could be applied to many, many places on a rod. There are better and cleaner ways to do this, but I was in a hurry today so I'll show the quick and dirty way. It still looks the same from the front side anyway.

Okay, without going into a big explanation as to why, I needed to make a switch panel for the console of one of my dad's cars today. So I made this.....

Last edited:
I didn't want any hardware to be visible on the front side of the faceplate so here is the solution. I determined where I had room for retaining bars on the backside in the console where this piece will reside. Based on those dimensions, I measured the locations, then welded bolts to the backside of the faceplate. That's the quick and dirty part. If I had more time, I would have drilled and tapped the faceplate and then installed studs. I would have welded the studs from the front and then ground the welds smooth. That would have made the part clean on both sides. That method can only be used if the material is thick enough. If not use the method shown here. I used thicker material on this piece because I wanted to round and smooth the edges.......

I then made these bars to attach to the studs and retain the faceplate in the console from the backside. Again, please excuse the quality. I was in a hurry.

Here's the temporary install in the console. Clean and simple. Just push the faceplate into place from the front, and install the retaining bars onto the rear and your done. Still some finish and paint work to do, but you get the idea.

He says "please excuse the quality"........omg lol that work looks top notch to me very professional and it the little touches like this that truly makes a ride unique....2 thumbs up:D

Nice piece Gastrick.
I like the way you used thicker stock and beveled the edge.
These are the kind of projects I really like doing, thanks for posting.

Jeff

Very kool!

Gastrick,
That is kool. Gonna use that on my PU somewhere. Thanks for the idea! Always wondered how that kinda stuff was done!

BoB

Gastrick,
I think you are being too hard on yourself. That piece looks dern good. Smooth and clean. I don't have that kind of patients with something simple like switches and guages.

That piece is rery smooth and clean looking..

that looks great gastrick! thanks for posting it, i'll use that somewhere i'm sure. we'll let the lack of quality slide this time :D

.......Holy Thread from the dead..LOL!.......But still I agree He does nice work!![cl

Attachments

• marty-somehow-we-were-brought-back-to-this-old-thread-thumb.jpg
    marty-somehow-we-were-brought-back-to-this-old-thread-thumb.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back