White Walls

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

I decided to put radial tires on my S110 and I thought I would share my experience with everyone, it may help someone. I started searching for a nice set of whitewall all over the internet and I could not find any that were in my price range. So I decided that I was going to just paint my own in the classy 50's style I love so much. I found that the radial tire that is recommended to replace my original bias ply tire (7.00-16) is a 215/85R16. The cheapest I found for a set of these whites walls was $224.00. I found a good deal on a set of black wall 215/85R16 for $457.96 on Amazon with shipping included. After speaking with my purchasing agent (my wife) I bought them. I decided that I didn't like the raised lettering on the side wall so I proceeded to smooth them out. This sounds a lot easier than it is, but I found a great way to do it. After trying to sand it off and melting my sanding wheel I put my rust remover on my drill and gave it a shot, it worked great. You can buy these little gems at Wal-Mart or most auto stores for about 5 bucks. Be super careful when you are grinding the sidewalls not to cut too deep, just take off the lettering and smooth out the rest a little bit. The amount of rubber I actually took off I am sure it did not affect the structural integrity of the tire but please be careful, safety first. After I got all four tires smoothed out and I went over them closely to make sure I got all of the lettering (I found a couple spots each time I thought I was done) I wiped them down with some wax remover to clean them up before paint. I had got online and bought some white wall tire paint from a place called Ranger Tire Paint for $15.00, the can was really small so I was glad I bought two cans. I taped off the outer edge of the tire with electrical tape since it stretches around the corners nicely. I tried to use a trim roller first and it kept leaving little pieces of the roller in the paint, frustrating. I put on two thin coats of this tire paint and you could see the roller marks, so I went and got a good 3" paint brush. I put on a third coat of this paint and it went on a little smoother, but you can still see brush marks. It may have been because my shop was only about 55 degrees when I painted it, but I am not sure.Lets just say that I am not to happy with the way these tires turned out. The paint started to peal and looked like I had mixed dirty water water with it. Next I tried the Krylon trick, this is holding up a little better, but it is still a little brownish. I am still on the hunt for a good product to use. I hope this help someone who wants to put some big, fat whites on your truck on a tight budget. I am going to try to include some pics for everyone, if anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Attachments

• stripper.jpg
    stripper.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 82
  • tire1.jpg
    tire1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 75
  • tire2.jpg
    tire2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 69
  • tire3.jpg
    tire3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 65
  • tire4.jpg
    tire4.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 76
  • tire5.jpg
    tire5.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 84
  • tire6.jpg
    tire6.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 78
  • tire7.jpg
    tire7.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 111
There is another thread about this - might be part of the 'grinding white walls' thread. Anyhoo, one guy said before you paint, you need to scrub/wash/rinse the sidewall a dozen or so times to get all he oils off or it will leach into the paint causing the browning. Not sure what he washed with, you'd have to find the thread....

Did you use the Krylon Fusion Paint?

It the stuff for use on plastic...?? My understanding is that if prepped properly this works well....never tried it but might down the road....[S

It is the plastic Krylon that I had used. I just thought I would share my own expearance with the guys on the site. Thanks for looking.

White walls.

We had a guy at the swapmeet doing wide whitewalls on peoples cars,he had a little machine,jacked the car up put the machine on the tire and it ground down the sidewall. Then he put another machine on and it applied the whitewall paint. Took about an hour and 1/2 charged $150. Well after just 2 weeks one of the guys that had it done,his whitewalls looked like crap,kinda like old dirty dish rag and chaulky as heck. Needless to say don't fall for that crap it sucks. I remember back in the late 60s guys that were to lazy to wash their tires used a black tire paint,that stuff looked good but they had to do it to often.

Way back in the mid sixties we used to wipe brake fluid on our blackwalls, made them look brand new. It probably didn't do the tires any good though. Nobody i ran with back then would even dream of running whitewalls, except the old folks over 30!

It is funny how times have changed. I love the look of white walls and I think it really sets off some vehicles. I wonder what is going to be in style 20 years from now?

Yeah, i love the wide whites now but i never liked skinny whites or the double and triples. Did like the redlines on muscle cars though. 20 years from now, who knows what they will be running. I'll be to old to really care!

I bought some stuff on the net awhile ago..never used it but it was supposed to last a long time with no yellowing..wish I could find it.....:eek:

white roofing paint. it white reflects light and is elsotrometric so it flexes. works great. Mac Mccarthy here in denver show me this

I will have to test that out on one of my old tires I have sitting around the garage. Hopefully that stuff works, I would love to put this question to bed. I have tried so many things and nothing has really impressed me. Thanks for the info!

OK....might sound dumb..

white roofing paint. it white reflects light and is elsotrometric so it flexes. works great. Mac Mccarthy here in denver show me this

what the heck is roofing paint? Is it for flat roofs like on mobile homes and such? Seriously, I really don't know what it is, but I'm gonna look it up when I quit typing this.....[S

Ok...looked it up...what I thought, flat roofs / mobile homes and such....it is what he said, elastomeric.....60 to 70 bucks a gallon....

You can get it in 1 liter or quart can as well for around $15.00 bucks. There is a spray on paint sealer for stains. (Spray can size around $9.00 bucks) I've wondered if a light coat of it would hold back the oil in the rubber so the white won't yellow. Kilz (think that's how it's spelled) was one brand. The other had a bullseye for the logo and something 'Zero' or 'Zero' something for part of the name. White Knight is one brand of the latex roof sealer. I've used it over tar on a camper roof and the tar didn't bleed through during an extremely hot spell, don't how well it would work out on a tire.

I used this on my buddys bobber. I painted it on about a year ago. It definitely let the oild through but his style bike, it looks okay. Kinda has an aged patina look. I really dig it. Home depot for $25 / gallon.
I painted it with water, paint it on, then dipped my finger In water and smoothed it out. Did 3 coats like this.

Latest posts

Back