Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Questions/Suggestions

Questions/Suggestions Questions or suggestions about the forum... don't be shy!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 PM

Default Need ideas/suggestions about patina and/or paint.

Hi there, I bought a 1951 Ford F1 back in May with beautiful rat rod patina on it.

[IMG] IMG_0364 by lvin4jc, on Flickr[/IMG]

I wish the story ended there. But I hadn't really discovered rats and how much I love them. So I had planned on making it a regular old hot rod and painting it. So... ... I may have ruined the patina

The bed is the same as in the pics but the doors have been stripped, not so much on the passenger's side, but the driver's is half bare metal along with half of the driver's side A-pillar. The front fenders have been mostly stripped of paint, so about 80% bare metal and 20% brown paint. The grille and hood have been completely stripped to bare metal, primered and painted with rattlecan Rustoleum Satin Indigo Blue

[IMG] IMG_0726 by lvin4jc, on Flickr[/IMG]

So, now that I know how much I love rats i'd like to keep it rat, so how do I do that?

Is there a way to salvage/rebuild the patina or do I have to go ahead and paint it at this point?

TIA
Joe
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

You can prime it in red oxide primer, then shoot another coat over that, and get to sanding. You'll want to expose theprimer underneath the painted surface. I think that's abou as close as you will get to patina at this point.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Devil's Advocate

The paint looks nice & the truck seems solid enough. Keep going! Continue with your vision and don't get sidetracked by fads. The end result will be far more pleasing than just another rusty old truck.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
You can prime it in red oxide primer, then shoot another coat over that, and get to sanding. You'll want to expose theprimer underneath the painted surface. I think that's abou as close as you will get to patina at this point.
So a "patina paint job" i've considered that... Hmmn, not sure.

The truck is very solid, just a little cancer in the cab corners and the very light surface stuff you see on that fender. The floorboards are like new and none of the bed is rusted although it's a wooden floor anyway. This is my craigslist find, got the truck with original 6cyl engine and trans plus a couple hundred bucks in new parts for $400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Devil View Post
The paint looks nice & the truck seems solid enough. Keep going! Continue with your vision and don't get sidetracked by fads. The end result will be far more pleasing than just another rusty old truck.
So you're saying go ahead with the blue? Obviously I like the blue, that's why I did it in the first place. But if I paint it blue will there be any rat characteristics left?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I like the blue also, you can still rat it up a bit and give it a nice patina with the method of sanding through. Go ahead with your paint as started then sand through to bare steel in various places mainly in high points of body profiles, center of radius's and other random spots that would look natural. Get a real flat clear and spray over your bare metal areas to keep away surface rust or you can let it start a bit then clear it. Another option is this paint kit they sell that allows you to simulate rust. Then letter your door panels and fade them to look like they have been there for years. Just try to think of what would fade and wear through naturally and it will turn out nice. It's a bit of an art but you can do it. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Brother Rat

There was a Ranchero I saw at a show that was painted, cool flames job, but the bottoms of the panels were rusting out. Totally painted, but screamed rat. I think Dragfink had it at one time.

Go with the blue. Don't worry about the bodywork, no filler, no dent repair, no rust repair, just clean up the metal and paint it.

EDIT: And don't worry about a clear coat or scratches. Just drive it!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Fear View Post
Go with the blue. Don't worry about the bodywork, no filler, no dent repair, no rust repair, just clean up the metal and paint it.
Yeah, I guess that was what was deterring me from painting it was the bodywork, there's only one or two dents on the truck but it got shot up in the field it was sitting in and there's two or three bullet holes and/or bullet dents where it didn't exit. I think they look cool but they'd have to be fixed for a "real" paint job.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvin4jc View Post
Obviously I like the blue, that's why I did it in the first place. But if I paint it blue will there be any rat characteristics left?
What the heck is a "rat characteristic" anyway? Should it have short fur and a tail?

If you like the blue then paint it blue! Don't worry about trying to fit into some pseudo-category that doesn't have a real definition anyways. Like I said before - continue with your vision and see it through. Don't worry about fads!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:55 PM

Fake patina, or, "Faux-tina", is the same as shoving a sock down the front of your pants!
Paint it blue like you've already started to, and maybe follow up with some pinstriping...that's a good looking color...

Sam...yeah, that was my Ranchero, I sold it to a guy in the Kropdusters...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg randys ranchero.jpg (191.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragfink View Post
Fake patina, or, "Faux-tina", is the same as shoving a sock down the front of your pants!
AMEN!!!