paint remover

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acourtjester

Paint remover
I don’t know if this has been talked about before. I needed a paint remover to clean off the window garnish on my 34. I have seen the damage brake fluid does to frame paint so I thought I would try it. Here is what happened to the paint on the garnish after two applications over a two day period. It took 99% of the paint off with the primmer under it too. I just brushed it on and repeated it again the next day and then used water and large parts brush to remove it all. This stuff is great as it stays moist and pliable it don’t dry out like normal paint remover does overnight. there is a little primmer left to do and I put more fluid on to get it completely clean ready to refinish.

Have fun
Tom

Attachments

• DSCF5402.jpg
    DSCF5402.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF5403.jpg
    DSCF5403.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF5404.jpg
    DSCF5404.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF5405.jpg
    DSCF5405.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF5406.jpg
    DSCF5406.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF5407.jpg
    DSCF5407.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 62
Makes sense.......

takes paint off anything it gets on.... wonder if it's cost effective? Haven't bought stripper in a while... how does brake fluid and stripper compare in price? [S

That would be my concern as well, having it lay in the pores of the metal and attacking any new paint. Don't know if vinyl wash and or wax remover would clean it up or not. I know there is a paint remover that the owner of the restoration shop I'm at swears by. I'll get the name of it on Tuesday when we go back to work. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, and takes on water from the air causing bare metal to rust fast and deep. Hot soapy water might be the best bet for clean up. It's the nooks, crannies, and crevices where it gets trapped that may cause some headaches down the road.

I have used brake fluid for taking paint off model cars for years now..... all ya have to do is wash it with dish soap ( I use Dawn) and usually no fish eyes or anything wrong after you dry it then paint it...plus aluminum parts the oven cleaner will harm but brake fluid doesnt seem to

Smitty

Just a follow up on the paint striper used at work, it's called TAL STRIP II. The boss gets it through Carquest.

If you have ever tried to get paint to stick to a firewall where brake fluid has leaked down out of a master cylinder I don't think you would want to purposefully put it on something to remove paint. You can scrub it with detergents, lacquer thinner, etc and it comes back to haunt you. On plastic model cars it might be one thing but on steel it gets into the pores and sticks like glue.

Just sayin'.

Don

The clean up seems to be the issue using brake fluid. Until someone has a foolproof method of clean up from metal, I`m not going to use it. I want to remove all the old paint off my 37.

does it matter if you use dot 3 or dot 5 brake fluid ,will either type work

No, they are not the same. Dot 5 is silicone and the beauty of it is that it doesn't hurt paint if some gets on it. We run Dot 5 in everything just for that reason, if you are bleeding brakes or get a leak it won't destroy your paint job.

Just last night we were bleeding the brakes on my Son's rpu and a drop fell on the cowl of his car. It wiped right off with no problems. If that had been Dot 5................:eek:

Don

No, they are not the same. Dot 5 is silicone and the beauty of it is that it doesn't hurt paint if some gets on it. We run Dot 5 in everything just for that reason, if you are bleeding brakes or get a leak it won't destroy your paint job.

Just last night we were bleeding the brakes on my Son's rpu and a drop fell on the cowl of his car. It wiped right off with no problems. If that had been Dot 5................:eek:

Don

The problem with Dot 5 is it's Silicone. Silicone will cause fish eye in anything being painted. It gets spread everywhere, by touch, in the air, it's incredible how Silicone gets everywhere and contaminates everything you want to paint. Nearly impossible to remove from the surface of stuff... If you're going to paint anything, be sure you haven't had silicone anywhere near it.:(

Well yeah, you don't put it on the car on purpose, my point is if some brake fluid of any type is accidently going to get on your car it sure is better to have it be silicone. :)

Don

Funny how that fish eye thing works....

The problem with Dot 5 is it's Silicone. Silicone will cause fish eye in anything being painted. It gets spread everywhere, by touch, in the air, it's incredible how Silicone gets everywhere and contaminates everything you want to paint. Nearly impossible to remove from the surface of stuff... If you're going to paint anything, be sure you haven't had silicone anywhere near it.:(

if you add fish eye removed additive to the paint, you avoid fish eyes....yet that additive is in fact...Silicone....????[S

Latest posts

Back