winter rust dip??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip-r-s

I am wanting to dip some parts this winter using molasses, but I don't want it to freeze nor do I want to keep wood in the stove all winter any thoughts ideas. Something like antifreeze but non toxic maybe

There is something out there called plastidip, its a spray on paint, but when you get tired of it you can peel it off. Not sure how well it would keep rust away, but its worth looking into.

Being that you are going to use something like an 8-1 ratio of water to molasses, it will freeze if you are in a cold enough area to get those temps. Not sure about antifreeze, but they use "bubblers" in the northern climes that put bubbles all around boats that are in the water to keep it from freezing next to the boat. Maybe you could rig up some sort of air supply that would keep the water bubbling in a similar fashion. I thing antifreeze might kill the effects of the molasses, but who knows.

Don

Depending on how big your container, a heat lamp underneath it might be enough to keep it from freezing? It would help to keep it warm anyhow - chemical reaction slows down in the cold.

Plumbing antifreeze isn't as wild as regular antifreeze, won't kill the poop bugs in a septic system. Not sure what it would do to molasses.[S

Try a block heater. I've use them for keeping ice off in the winter.

I actually submerged on after really siliconing the heck out of the cord at the heater end. I was not brave enough to touch the water or vessel though while still plugged in.

Gold03

one of those magnetic 110v heaters....

like you put on the block or pan...is about 500 watts....won't break the bank but keeps the fluid warm and toasty.....;)

Latest posts

Back