broke u joint..need help finding replacement

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59ponchorat

drive line is a chevy 216 with enclosed driveline..its said to be from 48 but im not completely sure..its the long sleeve that fits on shaft going back to rear end..part number stamped on it is 73539..thanks for any help in advance..

heres a pic of part..shaft side is broke..the ones ive seen dont have the outside threads on the trans side..

Attachments

• 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 26
I just got home from the shop and brought the manual with me. Give me a few minutes and I will go through it to see if there is anything in there like that. :)

Haven't seen that part number you quoted yet, but here is what they show for 1949 U joints:

chevymanual004.jpg

I'm still looking.

Don

Hey Scott, we are getting closer ! [cl

chevymanual2002.jpg

Here is a little note on there I thought might be important:

chevymanual3002.jpg

Ok, now we are getting somewhere:

chevymanual4001.jpg

Hope you can read this, I have a scanner but don't know how to use it, so here is a picture.

chevymanual4002.jpg

chevymanual5001.jpg

That seems to be everything in the manual, hope that helps out.

Don

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out which part you are referring to. It looks to me like the rear yoke is broken off in the picture of you holding it in your hand. Is this the part you need ?

chevymanual3002.jpg

Is yours snapped off where the red arrow is ?

150.jpg

Don

yes the yoke sleeve..yes thats where its broke..im not sure how this thing broke..i took it to carb shop to get the carbs built and the guy calls and said the car is running good but something messed up while test driving..

Ok, that part is the rear yoke or prop shaft yoke, they call it. Here is what they show for part numbers by year:

1940-41.........3665768

No cars between 42-45 WWII

1946............they don't show a separate yoke

1947-48........... they don't show a separate yoke either

However, from 40-48 they show the same part number for the U joint assembly, which is 606779.

1949-50 ......they don't show a separate yoke either, just the transmission yoke, which I take to be the one in front, not the broken one you have.

The U joint part number changes to 591642 from 49-50.

What year rear end do you think you have ?

Don

i have no idea what year rear end it is...i just know i was told that the drive line was from a 48 truck..its a 3 speed with a granny gear also...i really appreciate all the help you are giving me..

Oh, TRUCK ???? That is probably why it is different. The only picture that references a truck is that one of the whole assembly exploded, and it says "1929-40 passenger and 1/2 ton trucks."

Don

this thing has been off the road since april..it sat at hotrod shop for months and guy never even took a look at it,then i brought it home and it sat for another 6 weeks..i finally took it to my friends shop..now locating the part seems impossible..

its said to be from 48 chevy truck..its 216 w 3 speed trans with granny gear also.not sure if anything has been changed around internally...heres a pic of car

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back