Carbs for Chevy 250 3X1 manifold

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmw56

Busted and Rusted on Route 66
I am collecting parts for a 51 Ford F1 ratrod truck. I have a 250 Chevy 6 for it and an Offy 3X1 manifold. Most of the engines I've seen have the old "potbelly" style B Rochesters on them. Will a newer 60s or 70s Rochester Monojet or single barrel Holleys or Carters work well with this engine and manifold? Will the Idle circuit have to be modified on the outboardcarbs? It will have a 272 duration cam with about .500" lift with home made headers using a header flange with single pipes from each exhaust port.

Any suggestions!

Sorry, I don't know anything about the newer carbs. :(
I have run 2 of the old Rochesters single barrels and currently run 3 old Stromberg BVOX singles on my old 6. '22

Check out this link

www.clifford performance.com

Several years ago I got to help a friend of mine put an "Offey" intake on a 77 Nova he had, 3 mono jets set up on a progressive linkage. It worked out real well.
Hope this helps

3X1 Manifold Carbs

I got the manifold from Speedway which, included the progressive linkage. Summit also has them. I talk to Tom Langdon at Stovebolt and he recommended the small bore B series Rochesters with the manual chokes if I want to use the supplied linkage. You will have to make modifications with any other carbs.. Carters or Holleys or new Rochesters. Which is OK....thats Hot Rodding isn't it. I've decided to use the Rochesters since I already have two that match need to find one more.

Weber ICH's or ICT's are what a bunch of the Ford 200/250 guys run nowadays. Holley 1904's or 1911's are a good size, but it is hard to find ones that are worth a crap. If you have the two matching carbs already, I'd use those, though.

If you are going to break in the engine, block off the end carb holes and run off of a known good center. You don't want to run into issues the first time you fire it up.

Only the center carb needs a choke AFAIK. Definitely use a progressive linkage, it will help with all-around economy and driveability.

I've got 2 Rochester 1 barrels on a home made manifold on a 250 six in my '35International. There is a post on it in the "Builds" section. I went to the Carb Shop for advice regarding jetting, etc. He suggested leaving everything stock and see how it runs. I made sure both carbs had the same main metering jet. The only adjustment needed was the idle mixture screws are out 3 turns instead of the normal 1 1/2 turns. The engine is stock internally and the carbs are on a straight linkage.

Here`s what I plan to run on my 194 chevy , offy intake w/3 stromberg 81`s

Attachments

• IM000753.JPG
    IM000753.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 60
  • IM000754.JPG
    IM000754.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 58
Very Nice !!!

Nice looking setup there, 24.
What will you be running the 6 cyl. in? '22

I am collecting parts for a 51 Ford F1 ratrod truck. I have a 250 Chevy 6 for it and an Offy 3X1 manifold. Most of the engines I've seen have the old "potbelly" style B Rochesters on them. Will a newer 60s or 70s Rochester Monojet or single barrel Holleys or Carters work well with this engine and manifold? Will the Idle circuit have to be modified on the outboardcarbs? It will have a 272 duration cam with about .500" lift with home made headers using a header flange with single pipes from each exhaust port.

Any suggestions!

Where might I find a header flange for a 230cid 6 cylinder?
Thanks

Where might I find a header flange for a 230cid 6 cylinder?
Thanks

I bought an old set of headers and cut the pipes off. I've seen them in the past at Summit Racing for <$150. I've also seen them on Ebay or you can make them or have them made.

On Rochester carbs for a multi-carb set up the 2 outer carbs will need to be modified to work correctly. The idle circuit will have to be blocked off, the power valve removed and circuit blocked off. Make sure the throttle plates are completely closed at idle.

006-26.jpg

Any news on the Rochester Monojets working in the 3x1 setup? I am building a 3x1 for my Chevy 250, and looking for any info.
I tried three of the carbs originally on the truck (the medium sized monojets) with out modification and it was too much carb. I dropped down to the smaller monojet, and notice a big difference. Now I am modifying the outside carbs.
Should the power valve be removed and the passage blocked or left open?

I just joined, spent 5 minutes finding this discussion. I think I might like this place

Thanks

Any news on the Rochester Monojets working in the 3x1 setup? I am building a 3x1 for my Chevy 250, and looking for any info.

Should the power valve be removed and the passage blocked or left open?

I just joined, spent 5 minutes finding this discussion. I think I might like this place

Thanks

Yes remove and block the power valve. And welcome!

I use holley on barrels that came on the slant six. for headers i am making a set of lakester style. I got the flange off of egay for 36 bucks and i use a old drive shaft for the cones.

Latest posts

Back