'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, just to prove I haven't given up, I better update. real slow progress on the roof - trying not to get any heat to it. So while I've been slowly tacking the roof together, I've been working on other parts too, like finishing off the trunk floor.

finished welding and grinding the C-pillars.

attachment.php

Did some grinding on the A-posts. That's gonna need some lead.

attachment.php

I have managed to fill and grind the relief cuts. Not too much ripple there. I'll use filler on the roof if I ever do it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0275q.jpg
    IMGP0275q.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 271
  • IMGP0291a.jpg
    IMGP0291a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 269
  • IMGP0297a.jpg
    IMGP0297a.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 269
I pretty much follow all the builds but this build is the one I wait for

I pretty much follow all the builds but this build is the one I wait for

Kinda like watching Evil Kenivil jump? - Ya know he's gonna crash and burn, ya just don't know how bad!

You caught me fellas, I didn't even talk to my brother today. But I finally have a little update.

I got the roof top all welded up, but the welds had tightened up side to side (or linearly) just a little, so I've been hammering on metal for the last several days. Still have a few light oilcan areas, a few spots that need shrunk, and one spot I think I work hardened. So I'm thinking it's about time to finally buy a torch.
attachment.php

In the mean time, I started tightening up the curves for the rear part of the quarter window so I can get those in and get the rear sides of the roof nailed back together.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0301a.jpg
    IMGP0301a.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 243
  • IMGP0304a.jpg
    IMGP0304a.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 245
  • IMGP0311a.jpg
    IMGP0311a.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 243
It's taking shape nicely. Very tedious work.

The slow tacking it a little at a time was tedious and VERY hard not to rush. Beating on the dents is exciting - you can see progress and it's a challenge to figure how the metal is gonna move.

Hopefully I'll shovel my way to the garage later since I didn't go to work! Woot!

20 Minutes of shoveling and a coupe hours of metal work:
attachment.php

The tabs will be cut off to make a easier to fill hole.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0312a.jpg
    IMGP0312a.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 217
  • IMGP0313a.jpg
    IMGP0313a.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 224
To say I'm impressed with what you have accomplished, would be a huge understatement. Are you experienced in doing difficult chops? Keep up the great work.

Nice! The proportions (sp?) of the window are right on. Yea, sometimes it is easier to cut out the section behind the curve and just fill it with one piece. Nice work on a difficult chop![P

Man, great work! Now I know whey there are so many abandoned chop projects out there for sale.

It's gonna look awesome! I love that its a 4-door.

Got a little more done and figured out how to deal with the rear section. I didn't know how I was going to tackle it until I got to it because of all the compound curves.

Patched in the holes behind the windows.
attachment.php

Left a large gap.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I sliced the bottom of the far back.
attachment.php

Then tilted the entire section inward.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0320a.jpg
    IMGP0320a.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 182