my new project!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mocked up the rolling chassis for when the cab gets here tomorrow to get a roller to get a better idea of some things. got a couple of estimated ride height and what it looks like kinda laid out, but think im still gonna tweak it to lay frame for i have rubbing in the front when laid out right now.

pics show a couple all around with aired up, laid out, and just a few things...

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 37
  • t8.jpg
    t8.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 45
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 37
  • t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 33
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 35
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 45
me either!! havent seen the cab in ages! supposed to be here tomorrow but if not im gonna have to go grab it my damn self...

So been awhile since updated!! I started work with halliburton so more money yet less hrs. Have been working on the cab!! Let's just say the hook up I had did nothing but add rust to it! Didn't touch a damn thing they promised to...

Anyhoo, I decided to fix the chop and lines myself. Before I'm fine tuned...yes I pulled the doors, yes I didn't rebrace and yea it tweaked again!! This time it tweaked back to correct and look how off the lines were the roof is incorrect. Doors are with the correct gap. More updates thru the week or 2...

Attachments

• IMAG0768.jpg
    IMAG0768.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0771.jpg
    IMAG0771.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0770.jpg
    IMAG0770.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0772.jpg
    IMAG0772.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0773.jpg
    IMAG0773.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 38
Cut the top, not straight I know... Fixed the gaps. On a day off ill tack everything up and get the roof refilled and have the correct lines that I want! Having the new suicide hinges shipped this weekend. So that will come next!

have the lines where i want them! i had to tweak everything, but in the end i will be very happy with it all!! i had to do a relief cut on both upper can corners. i just ordered my suicide hinges so should be in with the week and will be able to go from there. here in the next week will have it all welded up hopefully and going to redo the firewall and mount the engine farther forward so that i can have more foot space and not have my motor recessed so far back in the frame...i will gain 5-7" of additional length to the cab and foot space...

Attachments

• IMAG0778.jpg
    IMAG0778.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0779.jpg
    IMAG0779.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 30
Ya get a better ride if you move the motor backwards, just saying in my opinion.... For foot room my cab is squared off at the bottom and forward just a hair at the bottom........ glad you got your cab where you want it. That was real frustrating to me also.

I can move it forward the 5" and get that room in the cab back plus still have the motor mounted behind the front crossmember. So would still be back in the frame but here it will be more roomier all around with relocating forward that little bit.

Yes the cab was frustrating as all hell. I just kept tweeaking and finally it all came together, just final weld, then doors, then latches then on to moving firewall forward.

Well slow going still. Waiting on everything thru mail and finishing my CDL school. I did fix the front pillar tho. Come to find out trying to spot weld it I found the weak spot the previous owner welded and grinder etc. I zapped at it to see how much burnt up and thru in a lil filler piece. Going to be cutting and welding in a few patch panels on the side and back before the weather gets undoable.

Attachments

• IMAG0794.jpg
    IMAG0794.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0795.jpg
    IMAG0795.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 25
still working on fully welding up the rechop, but i will have to be doing some patching. Tho i knew that when i started the rechop. in the mean time. i am reinforcing the bottom door portions, where the metal is too brittle and just could use a simple overhaul. i bought a piece of c channel 1/8 thick and 3/16x2" and the length will need trimmed down once finalized. have one side tacked in place the other is still in bad stock form

Attachments

• kj.jpg
    kj.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 10
  • kjj.jpg
    kjj.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 11
Got the other c channel piece tacked in, pics tomorrow for I'm already headed back to work. Hopefully tomorrow I can look at starting to get the door hinges up and in place

Well no door hinges on yet, BUT did get the new rest cab corners on, and boy that makes a difference...pics coming

Before and after driver side...

Attachments

• IMAG0817.jpg
    IMAG0817.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0816.jpg
    IMAG0816.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 25
And here is the cab laid back down and with the new channel patching on.the lower portion and the rear cab corners patched.

Attachments

• IMAG0821.jpg
    IMAG0821.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0822.jpg
    IMAG0822.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 17
I actually took a huge step back in progress but in the end the rechop and firewall rework will save me in the end. I'm just excites to mate cab to almost finished frame lol.

Forgot to add this pic showing the rear of the cab...figured might as well throw it in there as well...

Threw the cab on the frame to just get an idea and waiting for someparts and free time to continue the chop and suicide doors. Hopefully soon things start clicking. Going to finish building up the motor this next week so that's somethng to look forward too...stay tuned...

Attachments

• IMAG0916.jpg
    IMAG0916.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG0917.jpg
    IMAG0917.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0918.jpg
    IMAG0918.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back