322 with a '57 chev 3 spd. ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailhead A

Hey any Nailhead fans,
anyone ever stuck a '57 chevy 3 spd on a '54 322? I have a nailhead I'd like to use but no trans...I have a '57 chev rear axle so the chev 3 spd. (I think they are saginaw??) seems like a good choice. I also have a weak 5 bolt top cover 3 spd closed drive trans from the smaller buick 264 (with a bellhousing that will fit the 322), flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, apparently the flywheel can be reweighted to work with the 322, but the trans itself is weak as hell, has a weird in-out shift pattern that I'd have to make my own shifter for, and is a torque tube trans. Does anyone know if this will work and which mods need to be done?
- Thanks

I don't know if you are on FB but there is a Nailhead group on there. They might have your answers if you don't find them here.
Look up "The Almighty Nailhead Engine"group. Russ Martin and his son Matt are on there . Both nailhead experts. Or you can google them at Centerville Auto Repair out in California.
Torchie

the 57 chevy 3 speed was one of the worst 3 speeds ever, find a aluminum cased 3 speed with od that was used in some jeeps and f150's in the 70's and ealy 80's.

it's a top loader with an old timey looking shifter, and shifts like butter, AND HAS OVER DRIVE.

and it should bolt up to the buick bellhousing with some simple drilling of the bolt pattern.

Latest posts

Back