Stash

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm waiting for my 392 Chrysler to arrive. ;)

Seriously, I bought the car on a whim and I've been hopelessly searching for its history since. (No luck, insofar.) Based on the car's construction and wheelbase, I believe it was a top fuel or junior fuel car. I'd like to recreate the original build if I ever find its origins...

That said, I'm getting older by the minute and vintage events are relatively long hauls for me. (Been there, done that with our funnycar ventures.) I'll not be quick to throw the family finances into another race car, yet the fire still burns...

I have a cherry little 283, however. It would make for a cool 2x4 or injected screamer in the old dragster... my wife thinks she'd like to drive and 11's suddenly seem sensible. [S :eek:

Well if the wife wants to drive that's 60% of the battle. [P[P[P

Been thinking about Hemi's. [S
They are few and far between. Need to stumble on to a 331 or 241. Any news with your stuff Iron
[P

Sent the '58 original 2x4 block off to be bored .030 over.
Got all the parts to rebuild it including a new set of Keith Black 10 to 1 hypereutectic pistons.
A friend of mine probably has eight hemi's of the smaller size that he sells every now and then.

Yea, it's a great car.
He fired it up while we were there.
The owner has never driven it or even sat in it till we showed up. They pulled it in the garage and turned it off. The guy standing in the alley is the owner.
The first to comment on YouTube said it looked like a clone but, it's the real deal.

thats a rare dang car![dr

A friend of mine found these two 331 Chrysler Fire Power Hemi's at a place next to his shop 6 miles from me.
One came out of a '54 New Yorker 4 bbl 235 hp non extended bell housing.
The other came out of a '55 Imperial 4bbl 250 hp non extended bell housing.
One was in the back yard, very obscured from view, while the other was in the back corner of the basement in the house.
These had been there for many years until I was able to make a deal for them Wednesday last week and I picked them up yesterday.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1124181428.jpg
    1124181428.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 1124181428_HDR.jpg
    1124181428_HDR.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 42
Nice score Iron. I'm watching local ads. Some early Desoto stuff has popped up recently. My understanding is the 331 may be the best option for an "affordable" hemi.

Any idea what it might cost to ship a crated hemi across the nation[S

No, they weigh around 900# if that helps
There's not a thing wrong with a 331. They're physically the same size and look the same as a 354 and 392

Nice score Iron. I'm watching local ads. Some early Desoto stuff has popped up recently. My understanding is the 331 may be the best option for an "affordable" hemi.

Any idea what it might cost to ship a crated hemi across the nation[S

We recently shipped a fresh 270 Dodge from Central Oregon to the Detroit MI area for a grand total of $250 through Fastenal. If you call the corporate number ask for someone in 3PL (third party logistics).

Bought a couple Chrysler Fire Power 331 Hemis, from a fellow awhile back. Both are car engines.
One's a '55 and the other is a '56 and they both have the short bell housing flanges.
Would make some one a good engine :rolleyes:
Both will need rebuilt.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1124181428.jpg
    1124181428.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 1124181428_HDR.jpg
    1124181428_HDR.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 34