Best method to cut a steel barrel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandOverFist

I recently had a thought about cutting a steel barrel lengthwise to use as a fuel tank on the back of a truck. I would be cutting the 55 gallon barrel around the 50-70% mark if that makes sense.

My question is what tool would net me the cleanest, straightest cut? It will be welded to a bulkhead (steel plate) to create a fuel tank and I need the best edges I can manage. Would a plasma cutter along with clamped straight edges be viable?

Just came across this video... https://youtu.be/VH9-FO4-17Q Seems to work really well if one took the time to build the jig.

Last edited:
This is just me personally, but I would feel more comfortable using a cut off wheel since my plasma skills suck! :eek:

Toad

I don't know if I can cut a straight line with a cutoff wheel, plus that is a lot of cutting with a die grinder. I'm a little leary anyway about cutting on a barrel...fill with water? I was thinking drag a plasma head along a straightedge?

4.5 inch angle grinder with an .045 cutting disc is the smoothest fastest. Make a series of marks around the barrel, then use some 2"masking tape to connect the marks and follow the edge with the cutting disc.

I bought one of these years ago and works great. I never ran it down a straight edge but can't see why you couldn't. Jim

Thanks... I'm definitely gonna get one of those!!! I've seen people that can use a plasma & make some amazing parts... I am not one of those people! :eek:[ddd

BoB

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am neither a pro with a welder or plasma cutter myself...just looking for any options that will make life easier when it comes time to weld/put this all together. :)

Pretty expensive tool to cut a drum in half! [S

iSore

If I were to buy one it would get used for more than that. Looks like it would beat the pants off any cut-off wheel/die grinder which is all I have ever had to work with up to this point other than a sawzall to cut metal.

Last edited:
I bought one of these years ago and works great. I never ran it down a straight edge but can't see why you couldn't. Jim
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/grinders-sanders/stands-accessories/safety-guard-for-angle-grinders-61680.html

That looks like a great idea. Cutters that have spinning cut off wheels scare the heck out of me. I can always see them exploding in my face !

Years ago, I had a 12 inch chop saw with a cutting blade on it. One day I turned it on, bent down to pick up something from under the bench, and the blade exploded into shrapnel, some of it embedding in the ceiling ! If I had been standing up, it would have taken my head off. :eek:

Dan cuts everything with one of those cut off wheels, he is good at it and takes his time, but I stay away from using one.

I don't do it often but sometimes it's the best way I can figure. I have a circular saw aka skill saw that's old enough that the body of it is made of some sort of metal. I put about a 7" abrasive blade in it and run it just like I'm ripping a piece of plywood. It works great! Thinking about your barrel project, I think it would probably work well. It's relatively easy to get a nice straight cut, especially if you set up some sort of fence to run the saw along. Where ear protection for sure.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have the barrel sanded down to bare metal and the rest of the metal for the project ordered...going to have to make a decision soon and take the plunge. [;)

Attachments

• DSC05437.jpg
    DSC05437.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 12
Mission accomplished and I did'nt blow myself up lol! After playing with the plasma cutter I determined that method was not going to give me the desired edge I needed. I went ahead and bought one of those Eastwood mini-metal saws...more than worth the investment. No way I could have done as clean a job with a grinder/cut-off wheel. Wish I have had one of these saws years ago.

Attachments

• DSC05440.jpg
    DSC05440.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC05441.jpg
    DSC05441.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC05442.jpg
    DSC05442.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC05443.jpg
    DSC05443.jpg