first time start up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead's brother

So I have a 383 SBC that should make about 360hp so it is not a high compression motor. I am trying to start it up. I know how to put the hot battery cable on the correct stud of the starter and jump it with a screwdriver. I have the small JEGS starter-

With a full charge on the battery, I can get the motor to barely turn over. I mean barely, half a rotation maybe. Tried a few times, starter got hot. Motor never spun enough to fire. What is going on?

Attachments

• hot rod starter.jpg
    hot rod starter.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 4
Pull the spark plugs and see if it turns over. Or, with the plugs removed try turning it over with a breaker bar and socket on the crankshaft balancer bolt.

more info

engine turns easy enough with the plugs still in using a standard half inch ratchet so it would seem the engine is ok. I am using jumper cables for battery cables. I am thinking these are not thick enough and/or too long, and messing up the amount of current actually getting to the starter. Could this be right?

engine turns easy enough with the plugs still in using a standard half inch ratchet so it would seem the engine is ok. I am using jumper cables for battery cables. I am thinking these are not thick enough and/or too long, and messing up the amount of current actually getting to the starter. Could this be right?

Yep, you got it. Jumper cables will run a starter on the ground, but not enough amperage to run one and turn over an engine. You're gonna have to hook up a real battery cable , hot and ground, to get it to turn over.

Latest posts

Back