700R4 overdrive tranny question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead's brother

Do I need to put in a toggle switch to lock the Torque Converter at highway speeds? Or will it work ok without it? If it needs a switch, is there an easy way to install it? I like easy. :D

Do I need to put in a toggle switch to lock the Torque Converter at highway speeds? Or will it work ok without it? If it needs a switch, is there an easy way to install it? I like easy. :D

Mine all have a single hot wire to the tranny... no computer! My tranny guy uses some sort of switch that plugs into the tranny case... I'll ask what it is! You definitely don't want to go with a toggle... that will drive you insane!

BoB

there is a vacuum switch and a switch off the brake pedal external set up, l used this on the 1948 dodge truck and it works very well.

on the 3Oish it has an internal set up my tranny guy put in so no nothing to hook, just plug and play.

link on google for many styles, talk to local tranny shop and many can do it for a reasonable fee.

MAKE SURE THE TV CABLE IS ADJUSTED PR0PERLY 0R IT CAN BURN UP THE TRANS QUICK:eek::eek:

this is the kit l used on the 48;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-60109/

https://www.google.com/search? q=7...3.69i57j0l5.2880j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Later:cool:

Last edited:
If the tv bracket is pretty sturdy then all ya have to do is push the cable adjuster to let the cable extent then push the pedal to the floor. It'll automatically pull the cable to real close to the adjustment it needs.
I run a key on hot wire to the plug on the tranny and don't worry about disengagement. It'll do that when it downshifts to third or you slow down below the 4th gear shift point.

This worries me. I have looked at some vids on this. Most just say to get it snug and adjust it as you drive it, warning me not to leave it too loose to begin with. How do most people set it up to start with?

I have always just made mine tight like my throttle cable. You can adjust it a lil for harder or softer shifts... just don't make it loose! Taking off once & letting it shift will tell you if you're good! At least that's how I adjust them & drove my Chevelle like that for 10 years & my Nova for 16... no prob!

BoB

Mine all have a single hot wire to the tranny... no computer! My tranny guy uses some sort of switch that plugs into the tranny case... I'll ask what it is! You definitely don't want to go with a toggle... that will drive you insane!

BoB

I use a toggle switch. Not a pain at all. Just font forget to turn it off hahahaha.

I live my 700r in my chevy. Made it a totally different truck!

Latest posts

Back