Slapper

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

Hammer and dolly work, I have found is one of the hardest skills to master when reworking the sheet metal on a project, (I'm still working on the master part). I have found it tough to find a lot of good info on the how too's of doing it so started out pretty much just wacking the metal with an old ball peen hammer and a piece of steel as a backer. Since then I have purchased a basic set of hammers and dollies.

attachment.php

I have watched a lot of youtube and found Wray at proshaper.com although pretty boring to watch has a lot to teach. His favorite tool for working the sheet metal is a slapper made out of scrap spring steel. Some of the craftsmen at Kindigit also use a slapper a lot of the time. Wray has two videos on how to make a slapper, what could I loose other than a couple of hours. I had an old leaf spring pac from a boat trailer, chose the one best suited to the task.

attachment.php

Some cutting, bending, shaping and sanding, and this is the end product.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So far I really like the feel of the tool and how controlable it is, it reach into tight places really well and still allows some swing. The large surface area with smooth edges doesn't give you a hard line with a miss placed blow.

Any of you master have experience with something similar, or some guidance for us learning the hard way.

Attachments

• Resize of Slapper 001.jpg
    Resize of Slapper 001.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 58
  • Resize of Slapper 002.jpg
    Resize of Slapper 002.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Resize of Slapper 003.jpg
    Resize of Slapper 003.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Resize of Slapper 004.jpg
    Resize of Slapper 004.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 57
  • Resize of Slapper 005.jpg
    Resize of Slapper 005.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 55
nice! wood handle and all... :cool: I use flippers / slappers a lot as for many tasks they out perform hammers by far. I made a couple light ones from leafe spring material and they will hold up for at least 4 generations... The one I use most is actually born as a spoon dolly. I customized it a bit and I love the large surface and weight. I do need to forge the handle to a flatter shape though, as it wants to wiggle at times... chances are I never will... :rolleyes:

You cant go wrong with a flipper as you will shrink the off-dolly hits and stretch on dolly... :)

Nice work Dozer. I have a couple that I've made from leaf springs as well, and assure you that they aren't NEARLY as pretty as yours! I do like them though.

Thanks for all the great comments guys, I'm finding massaging metal has a very steep learning curve, with many bumps in the road, pun intended.

After putting a few more miles on the slapper I'm finding that it will not replace the body hammers in the tool box, but it does a lot of massaging better and with less collateral damage. It's very controlable and I found it reaches in an allows you to tap in tight spots like inside the doors.

Latest posts

Back