'Sleepers' section!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over 20 yrs ago I worked at a salvage yard. Walking through the parking lot one day I heard a really bad sounding car coming and the only thing I seen was an old beat up 67 chevy 3/4 ton long bed pulling in. I walked over to it, black wheels, rust and beat all to hell. Turned out it would run low 12's right off the street, the guy said he had a ball with it on the street.

Years ago I picked up an 87 Dodge Diplomat from the Sheriff's auction, ex-detective car so it was a real base model setup 318, 2bbl auto, AM radio that was about it.

Got the itch to do something with it so I put a warmed up 360 in, added a 4 speed, dug around the boneyard for the cop stuff, front and rear sway bars, HD brakes, everything got touched and upgraded, even the radio.

Many an unsuspecting 5.0 got spanked by that grandpa looking car.

Years ago I picked up an 87 Dodge Diplomat from the Sheriff's auction, ex-detective car so it was a real base model setup 318, 2bbl auto, AM radio that was about it.

Got the itch to do something with it so I put a warmed up 360 in, added a 4 speed, dug around the boneyard for the cop stuff, front and rear sway bars, HD brakes, everything got touched and upgraded, even the radio.

Many an unsuspecting 5.0 got spanked by that grandpa looking car.

My last daily driver was an '03 Crown Vic police interceptor, detective car, which means it had the black out grill and rear, but the Crown Vic badges and wheel covers. Also had all functioning doors and nice back seats, not a ghetto blaster. With the "old gold" color it looked like any snowbirds car cruising in Ft Laud.

But it had the cop goodies and I did the "J Mod treatment" which is a shift kit without the kit. The holes in the plate were drilled, but first and third springs were removed, a recommendation from the Ford engineer.

It was a blast going all out and catching rubber in the gears, I shocked many a young un with this grandpa looking car

Cop cars are fun!

Fresh out of school, my first job had me working for a guy who owned a well-rounded full service auto shop. He had a good (by tender) contract with the government. So, my boss had a compound full of government vehicles, many only stored until sold and released as is...

The cop cars were a different story. As the contract dictated, we were required to strip the (white) doors and paint them to match the (then) blue body colour, which forced us hoodlums to start, drive and move the offending vehicles in and out of the shop...

It didn't take us long to recognize the interceptors... they had a decided "rake" and if they ran well, they'd lay two strips of rubber as long as you kept you foot on the floor. [ddd

I'm taking the fifth from here...

I had a pretty beat up Midas RV. 22 ft. long on a 1 ton Chevy van frame with dual rear wheels. It had a 400 sbc with a 400 trans and a 4:10 rear end. I put a new Edelbrock 4 bbl on it and a centrifugal advace kit in the dizzy.
Loved watching everyone get in the other lane at red lights. They would catch up to me at the next red light..

Latest posts

Back