Rubber drilling, or drilling rubber?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I've got some rubber conveyor belting strips I want to use for between my trans mount and frame. Need a couple of 3/8" or 1/2" holes for the mount bolts to go through. How would be the best way to go about drilling the rubber? Last time I tried to use a piece like that, I drilled a hole, but never could get it large enough, when the bit came out, the hole would close up! I don't have any way to punch them, either. Any ideas?

I've cut holes in rubber by making a punch out of a piece of pipe. I just grind it on a taper. drive it through with a big hammer. You could also use a press to push the cutter through the rubber.

I use a 1/2" plug cutter bit on the drill press. Cutter teeth will cut a pretty clean hole for large bolts. Those bits are designed to cut a wooden plug from a board. Hardware stores have them. Leaves a hole thru conveyer belting or mat that's about 5/8" dia. I'll get a shot of mine later if you like.
If you need smaller diameter hole go for smaller bit. It'll cut about 1/8" larger than the plug it's designed to cut when you're talking hole size, roughly.

These work well for drilling holes in rubber belting/

SAE-3-16-7-8-Hss-3-8-Triangle-Shank-Titanium-Coated-font-b-Tapered-b.jpg

whut to do

I have drilled rubber a size larger than needed. Ground a point or taper on your bolt and thread in.

Latest posts

Back