t bucket chassis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrod fozzie

I am getting ready to start on a chassis for my t bucket project,( I was given a fiberglass body so don't flame me too badly lol) I want to build it low ( dont like the high 70's t bucket look) and put a longer bed on it that I am making out of steel so they wont be attached (between "36-"40) i have a set of plans for a basic t bucket chassis can I use those and extend the back for the extra bed length? please help

easily doable.. start at the radiator and work backwards this will give you a clear start point , get her outside to check physical dimensions suit your plan,

even if you build basic frame then extend to suit if its only supporting structure (for the deck),..

crate thought a bit..

Easily done, as stated by extending the plan measurements.

I would suggest building it out of wooden 2x4's first to be sure you have the proportions right. Once everything is right transfer the numbers to steel and weld away.

Way cheaper screwing up the wood then screwing up using steel!

The basics are covered above. Do the mock-up. Then sit back and stare at it for a couple days. Then leave it alone for a week or so. Then to back and stare at it some more. If you still like what you see, go for it!

If you are handy with PhotoShop or the like, mess with it there to get ideas. I spent a year in PhotoShop tweaking other peoples trucks before I had enough parts accumulated to start on mine.

Good luck. Have fun.

What we alway told everybody at the ntba (national t bucket alliance) is use 2x4's to mock a frame.

T frame

I used to use 2 x4 s, the last 2 chassis I built I used the CCR plans and extended the front on one 8 inches , frame, hairpins , drag link and the other one the rear 4 inches

I have the ccr and total performance plans. I'm not working at the moment still healing but i can take pics of the drawings and send them to your phone if needed. Just pm me if you need them.

Ccr plans

I make copies of the CCR plans, covered them with clear shelf paper then Used the optical plasma tracer at the college when I was taking the streed rod fab class at UVU. the copier didn't make exact copies and some pieces were distorted for the jag rear end parts. next time I will draft my own tracer prints using the CCR dimensions. also make your own paterns for the corvair steering gear using the box to locate the holes.

Latest posts

Back