Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys. :eek:

I'll repeat the post with the missing attachments:

Best I can find for S10 frame dimensions...

Second generation...

attachment.php

First generation...

attachment.php

Both are 2WD pickups with different wheelbases and some changes occurred between the generations. I understand the critical dimensions are nearly identical, where a first generation body should bolt to a second generation frame and vice versa. (Curiosity forced me to lay one drawing over the other.)

At any rate, if you add 14.625" WB to the second generation drawing, or 5" WB to the first generation drawing, the widths don't change and they are the virtually the same.

I wish I could provide you with more measurements and more detail. (20 years ago, I'd call a friend in the business and have measurements to the 64th.)

Attachments

• S10 frame dim.jpg
    S10 frame dim.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 75
  • s10 lb frame.jpg
    s10 lb frame.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 75
most of the S10 early/late changes were additional bracing or bumper mounts or brake line mounts, or fuel line provisions or slight changes to the crossmembers. like an 86 longbed will have a carrier bearing crossmember, a tube trans crossmember, fuel lines inside the frame rail, and rail boxing to just aft of the trans crossmember, but a 98 longbed will have no carrier crossmember, fuel lines external to the frame rail, a box trans crossmember, and boxing will extend to the front leaf mounts

I had a bagged mazda ext cab years ago and it ran through all my friends before someone pulled the body off and put a plymouth body on it, you just reminded me.

most of the S10 early/late changes were additional bracing or bumper mounts or brake line mounts, or fuel line provisions or slight changes to the crossmembers. like an 86 longbed will have a carrier bearing crossmember, a tube trans crossmember, fuel lines inside the frame rail, and rail boxing to just aft of the trans crossmember, but a 98 longbed will have no carrier crossmember, fuel lines external to the frame rail, a box trans crossmember, and boxing will extend to the front leaf mounts

I had a bagged mazda ext cab years ago and it ran through all my friends before someone pulled the body off and put a plymouth body on it, you just reminded me.

Thanks joedoh. I was hoping you would weigh in with your S-10 knowledge.
I would have a few more choices for an unmodified chassis swap if I had a Plymouth. The Dodge is a different beast.
Same body shell as a 49 DeSoto But different wheel base length yet again.
I'll keep hunting.
Torchie

it seems that not only are my car building skills diminishing. So are my computer search skills.
Doc or anybody else.....
Looking for a frame diagram for a 95 Ford ranger. Extended cab in particular. I have a shot at one and want to see what I'm looking at before I make the trip.
Wife's eye surgery is in the morning with a follow upon Friday. Still back and forth to Moms-in-law ,so in the words on the immortal Booker T and the MG's, "Time is tight."
Thanks to everyone for the help....
Torchie

Torchie, I just posted some car show pics. The Desoto 3 window coupe is on an Impala frame. I talked to the builder, but didn't get any more details.

Attachments

• TSI 014.jpg
    TSI 014.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 18
Thanks bob.
The DeSoto shared the same body shell as the Dodges but were a longer wheel
Base. I’m trying to find a frame that will need the least amount of changes. So wheel base is my prime target

We shall see if I’m successful or not.
Torchie

Last edited:
Ranger will be twin I beam front end until I think 99, then a new design rounder body has the a arm suspension with torsion bars. Early models had the 7.5” rears, later had the 8.8” when it had the V6.
Explorer might be an option, too. Would be same as later Ranger I think.
Another option is a Toyota pickup. 70’s had a arms and coils up front, 80’s had torsion bar fronts with a arms. They also have small Ford/ Dodge wheel bolt pattern, 5 on 4.5”. They are straight rails with gentle upward bends, and are fully boxed end to end.

Ranger will be twin I beam front end until I think 99, then a new design rounder body has the a arm suspension with torsion bars. Early models had the 7.5” rears, later had the 8.8” when it had the V6.
Explorer might be an option, too. Would be same as later Ranger I think.
Another option is a Toyota pickup. 70’s had a arms and coils up front, 80’s had torsion bar fronts with a arms. They also have small Ford/ Dodge wheel bolt pattern, 5 on 4.5”. They are straight rails with gentle upward bends, and are fully boxed end to end.

Thanks for the info Bama.
I knew that the lug pattern for the Ford and Dodge were the same. I'll have to look into the front suspension.
I haven't looked into the Toyota's. But as with most trucks up here. The ones I see are 4 WD.
Torchie

I would like to have something good to report but alas.....
No progress on the Dodge or the boat.Can't seem to get more that a few minutes to my self before we are on the run.
I'm have been trying to go look at a ranger for about a week now that supposedly has a good frame. Maybe tomorrow if it's not pouring rain like it did all day today.
I must admit this is all getting disheartening as things that need to be done are starting to pile up.
Okay. I'm done venting......[ddd
Torchie

It'll soon change keep on keepin on Big T
[P[P[P

Thanks all.
Things are changing, and perhaps not for the better. OI.
Out in the shop today.
Took all the cheap paint off the roof I put on there to protect it. About half way thru that process my 44 year old DA began to die.:eek: RIP old friend.
Started on the lightweight body filler skim coat.
Half way thru sanding that, my 10 year old compressor started cutting out.:eek: :eek:
Is this some sort of message from the Universe??????[S :rolleyes: [ddd
This is as far as I got. The magnetic light is one of the cheap HF ones that always falls off of what ever you stick it to. Just to show how little body filler is actually being used.
Time to regroup and see whats up with the compressor.
Thanks for visiting.
Keeping on keeping on......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-10.jpg
    2-10.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 17
Looks like most things in your shop are a little on the old side. But it's all coming together very nicely[cl
I've learned that from time to time I just have to buy replacement things, thank you HF, only buy when on sale. :p
Keep it up big guy and don't wear yourself out to much.:)
[P

Stuff wears out :)

[P[P[P[/QUOTE
That's just what my cardiologist said to me the other day, OI. When my personal body body filler went up 10 lbs in 3 days.:eek:

Looks like most things in your shop are a little on the old side. But it's all coming together very nicely[cl
I've learned that from time to time I just have to buy replacement things, thank you HF, only buy when on sale. :p
Keep it up big guy and don't wear yourself out to much.:)
[P

That's why I fit right in to my shop, soltz. I'm a little on the "Old side" my self.[ddd
I've got another DA(If I can remember where I stashed it.) The compressor on the other hand...... Don't have the funds needed to replace it if it goes bye-bye.

Doc.
It’s triggering the reset. When I push the reset button it kicks back on
I will check everything over on it in the morning
It’s not exactly the most exspensive compressor
Torchie

Latest posts

Back