Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,Crank.
I have used this site before but haven't always had luck with it.For some reason all the pages don't load on my computer.
I will try it again.
Torchie

I believe the Gbody frame would better serve you Torchie as I
feel the Impala track width would be a little wide....unless you're
ok with the stance in the pic...if you wanted it lower in the front
it more than likely would interfere with the fender....
if you choose something other than a GM frame disregard ...;)

[P[P[P

Agreed, to me the Impala frame is a bit wide in the front but that's just my opinion.

You both are right about the Impala track width. Too wide by about 3 inches. I had hopes for the Impala even though it looked a bit wide on the DeSoto pictured. I figured the newer 49 Dodge would have a wider track and the Impala would work.
The G body is the way to go as the track width is within a half inch.
So now the hunt begins for that lol
I’ve got a line on an 80 monte that was used as a roundup round car. If the frames good it may be a possibility.
Torchie

Last edited:
You both are right about the Impala track width. Too wide by about 3 inches.
The G body is the way to go as the track width is within a half inch.
So now the hunt begins for that lol
I’ve got a line on an 80 monte that was used as a roundup round car. If the frames good it may be a possibility.
Torchie

If you haven't seen it, this wikipedia article has a good list of G-body models to help your search.

Hot as snot here today. 90 degrees.:eek:
Well it seems that my compressor has totally gone south so I broke out the grinder and did some grinding and clean up of the old paint on the DS roof.
After dinner took Mrs Torchie out for her delayed Birthday celebration.
We went to one of the many small batch distillieries that have sprung up here in Northern Michigan.
The gal singing there was in one of my old bands. She tells me that I was a big musical influence on her as well as her favorite bass player.:eek:
She's very talented. :cool: It was a good evening.
While we were there I got a text from my car buddy about the possibility of a new compressor.
Lets keep our fingers crossed.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 18
Hopefully the lead on the compressor works out. Speaking of pumps, and not meaning to pry, but how did your cardiologist appt go? I trust everything was ok as you haven't mentioned it since....

Hopefully the lead on the compressor works out. Speaking of pumps, and not meaning to pry, but how did your cardiologist appt go? I trust everything was ok as you haven't mentioned it since....

LOL. You re not prying BillM. Everyone here is just family to me that I haven't met yet.:D
Yesterday was a testing only visit.
EKG and a Echo cardiogram (With dye).As well as a visit to my real leg Drs as that one has been wrapped to help reduce the swelling.
The follow up visit to The Cardiologist to discuss the results is next Friday-July 5th.
If I hear anything prior to that I'll be sure to let everyone know.:)
I also just got a message about a Ranger with a good frame for $100, Supposedly. So we will see how that shakes out. The 81-88 G body tract width would be perfect, but with them being in the 30-40 year old range I haven't been able to find one yet that wasn't either totally rotted out or under some guys Idea of a Nascar.$$$[ddd
Stay tuned......
Torchie

LOL. You re not prying BillM. Everyone here is just family to me that I haven't met yet.:D
Yesterday was a testing only visit.
EKG and a Echo cardiogram (With dye).As well as a visit to my real leg Drs as that one has been wrapped to help reduce the swelling.
The follow up visit to The Cardiologist to discuss the results is next Friday-July 5th.
If I hear anything prior to that I'll be sure to let everyone know.:)
I also just got a message about a Ranger with a good frame for $100, Supposedly. So we will see how that shakes out. The 81-88 G body tract width would be perfect, but with them being in the 30-40 year old range I haven't been able to find one yet that wasn't either totally rotted out or under some guys Idea of a Nascar.$$$[ddd
Stay tuned......
Torchie

Which front suspension does the ranger have? Best of luck that it's what you need. I got my S-10 frame that's under my 46 for $100. I despise the twin I-beam suspension that's under the pre-1998 rangers, but if you can make it do what you need, all the power to you.

Good luck on the ticker results!

Which front suspension does the ranger have? Best of luck that it's what you need. I got my S-10 frame that's under my 46 for $100. I despise the twin I-beam suspension that's under the pre-1998 rangers, but if you can make it do what you need, all the power to you.

Good luck on the ticker results!

I don’t know the details of the Ranger yet snopro
Most likely it’s pre 98 with the twin I beam. But we shall see.
As long as I can lower it I’ll take what I can get.
Or..... I could always channel it to get the ride height I want.😳
Just kidding..... Sort of🤪
Torchie

Snopro and any others on here.
Did you use spacers to bring out the wheels and widen the track?
The Ranger track width is about 3 “ narrower then the Dodge
Torchie

Torchie
With the S10 chassis, I was able to (had to) use 8.5 wide rims in front to get the tires close enough to the fender openings to satisfy me.

More than one way to skin a cat.

I have some experience with a Ranger frame. The frame stays relatively narrow near the front end and gradually widens as it goes back from the firewall to behind the front seat and then stays the same width the rest of the way to the back. The frame is beefy. I had to put 1" spacers behind my back wheels to get them away from the box sides. The steering box is in the road if you are going to put a flathead V-8 in, but I think any other motor would work nicely. The twin-I-beam suspension, keeps the front end of the motor a little high, but if you want to raise the doghouse in the cab, it should all work out.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 36 unpainted cab right.jpg
    36 unpainted cab right.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 18
  • make hotrod 013.jpg
    make hotrod 013.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 1 inch spacer.jpg
    1 inch spacer.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 17
With the S10 chassis, I was able to (had to) use 8.5 wide rims in front to get the tires close enough to the fender openings to satisfy me.

More than one way to skin a cat.
Thanks skip. Not sure I want to runt that wide a tire as I believe the OG 49 Dodge rims have the same bolt pattern as the Ranger hubs. Put is good to know.

I have some experience with a Ranger frame. The frame stays relatively narrow near the front end and gradually widens as it goes back from the firewall to behind the front seat and then stays the same width the rest of the way to the back. The frame is beefy. I had to put 1" spacers behind my back wheels to get them away from the box sides. The steering box is in the road if you are going to put a flathead V-8 in, but I think any other motor would work nicely. The twin-I-beam suspension, keeps the front end of the motor a little high, but if you want to raise the doghouse in the cab, it should all work out.

Thanks Mac.
At this point I'm not even thinking about the engine. I just want to get this onto a rolling frame.:)
It's going to be a bit before I can get eyes on this $100 Ranger so if I get lucky I still might find a Cheap usable G body car or frame. This is what I'm dealing with around here. NO engine or trans. Missing parts and they want $2000 for it. Cars are only slightly cheaper, if you can find them.
It would seem I'm due for some luck......
Thanks for the responses.
Torchie

Attachments

• 65310954_2485131631553890_6727111948925665280_n.jpg
    65310954_2485131631553890_6727111948925665280_n.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Torchie

I'm running 8" wide wheels on the front of mine with 3.5" backspace, no spacers. I'm also running 10" wheels on the back but used a mini tub. Again no spacers.

The crappy part if you want to lower a twin I-beam ranger is you basically need to buy dropped I-beams (3" is about the biggest you can usually get). If you use lowered springs or cut the springs, you usually end up with negative camber which would look bad on your car, IMO.

Hopefully you can find a G-body :)

Had the Cardiologist appointment this Morning.
No changes in the heart or the blood tests since the last time. So that's good news.[cl [cl
He has suggested that perhaps my feeling so lousy has much to do with not being on my regular exercise routine, and not eating regularly as we have been on the run so much these past two months. As well as not spending any time doing the things that I like to do.:eek: :eek: :eek:
I'm not arguing with that.
Plus, as he said, the heats not helping as I keep putting on fluid weight.
So it's time to suck it up buttercup and get back to work on the projects. Hopefully my next post will be about some actual progress instead of all this whining......:eek:
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

That sounds like good news Torchie! Now, just figure out how to exercise AND get stuff done that you like to do....but have you ever heard a doctor NOT say that we need to exercise more??? LOL. I shouldn't make light of it....glad to hear that you checked out ok.

Latest posts

Back