Molases rust remover

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
This is crazy, but it works. My Dad is working on a 27 ish Model T and has dunked body parts in one part molasses and nine parts water for a month. I can not believe the amount of rust that he washed off with the pressure washer after a months soak in solution!!

The body panel has only had the right edge submerged in the solution. the rest of the panel is un treated.

Everything else was just as rusted as the body panel prior to soaking it!

Decide for your self!

one part feed molasses, nine parts water. Soaked for one month, washed off with pressure washer.

I'm lookin for tank to dunk a car in!!

Check out this link. An Australian fellow is the one my Dad is where Dad got the information from. Or at least one of the sources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-gBAjEga1s
gold03

pastor gadget lives

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
I've got 15 gallons of molasses and a big plastic tub that I bought a while back to soak the Olds block we bought for my Son's rpu, but then the machine shop told me they had a shot tumbler, so we went that route. But I am dying to try the molasses out on something and may just drop some old car parts in there to see what happens.

I've been worried about ants, did you have any issues with that? When I picked up the molasses at the farm store we had bees all around us while we were pumping it into the 5 gallon pails. :eek:

Don

Years ago I tried Naval Jelly and really didn't get much out of it, but I have seen where other people swear by it. I did get great results from Evaporust, I soaked some cowl lights in it overnight and they came out literally like new steel. Even left the original paint on where it was good. But it is pretty expensive so it would be hard to do large parts.

Don

I saw a guy on YouTube that built a big box framed with 2x4's so he could do hoods and fenders. I'm still trying to find a way I can do my entire cab with this stuff.
My only thought would be to do 1/2 at a time. Set the bottom in for a few weeks, then flip it over to do the top. Hanging the thing from the my engine hoist.
Just don't know how to get rid of 300 gallons of the water/molasses mixture [S

Just don't know how to get rid of 300 gallons of the water/molasses mixture [S

You're idea of doing one half at a time should work well. I just unscrewed the back panel of my box and let it all drain out. After several weeks it's pretty dilluted. It doesn't hurt anything and the varmints don't come runnin' like you might think!

PC040003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010006.jpg

PC040001.jpg

This is crazy, but it works. My Dad is working on a 27 ish Model T and has dunked body parts in one part molasses and nine parts water for a month.

Check out this link. An Australian fellow is the one my Dad is where Dad got the information from. Or at least one of the sources.

There was a big write up in an australian rodding magazine a while ago
They showed in depth the process , then once done and panel cleaned up, they gave it a coat of lanolin , kept it the bare metal look and didnt surface rust for months

But dont go droppin alloy manifold or parts in it

Latest posts

Back