How does this suspension work?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

I saw this 46 Chevy truck on Facebook for sale. It has some very odd things done to it. What I don't understand is this rear suspension setup.

There are two link bars on top of the rear end connecting to the frame rail brackets and center section with heim joints, and there are two lower links (you can just see the back end of one) going forward, and there are also coilover shocks leaned back at quite an angle.

The owner claims this is all the rage on the east coast and that this setup works great.

I don't see how it would allow you much upward or downward movement at all, unless you start to buckle the frame rails. Can someone help me with what I'm missing? The way I see it, this should have a watt's link, not a fixed mounting point in the middle? An interesting discussion, nonetheless.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rear Suspension.jpg
    Rear Suspension.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I completely agree. It would push and pull on the rails. Also those rear shocks probably don't do much at that steep of an angle

Fail! The bottom bars are probably ladder bars which is okay with coilovers. Leaning shocks back a lot is okay on light cars where the shock would be to stiff in a vertical position. My '40 Plymouth pickup had the rear shocks mounted this way from the factory. The coils around the shocks would be virtually ineffective at that angle. The side to side locators kill the whole thing and will only allow movement to the extent that there is slop or flex in the system. Looks like an attempt at a Watts linkage except there is no pivot.

The sideways flexing of the frame rails will act as suspension helpers a wee bit. That will help the really slanty coilovers do their job.
The sellers windy salesmanship might override the light engineering on this truck.

Looks like the frame is already bending in the upper part of the foto! If that's all the rage... why haven't we seen other cars/trucks sporting this setup?!? :eek: [ddd

BoB

Looks like the frame is already bending in the upper part of the foto! If that's all the rage... why haven't we seen other cars/trucks sporting this setup?!? :eek: [ddd

BoB

And I quote "This is old hat here on the east coast"... Except I corrected the spelling errors.

He's asking $9500. I've included the ad text and some more photos of the truck below, just for anyone interested. I'm not trying to bash it but I would hate for an unsuspecting or uneducated buyer to end up with something with potentially sub-par fabrication and design. I know around here we have a culture of "let live" unless someone is doing something unsafe. Hopefully this serves to educate someone :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Side view 2.jpg
    Side view 2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Inside 1.jpg
    Inside 1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Engine 1.jpg
    Engine 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Ad text.jpg
    Ad text.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 69
Potentially a money pit... if you don`t die first... :rolleyes: I wonder how long it will take till the back end says byebye to the front

I'm sure the frame rails will work harden and fail before the welds on the diff holding the brackets will fail

hack job at best

Looks like it's never been driven much, mostly on and off the trailer used to haul it to and from static shows.

don't need no fancy SusPenshun when you's got a trailer.

TQ's FOREVER!!!!!!

Potentially a money pit... if you don`t die first... :rolleyes: I wonder how long it will take till the back end says byebye to the front

I don't think it would take long. You might end up with a ruptured disc, it's bound to ride like solid suspension as you're trying to flex the frame rails. I bet those Bias tires would make it extra interesting.

I'm sure the frame rails will work harden and fail before the welds on the diff holding the brackets will fail

hack job at best

Fine Redneck engineering?

I reckon someone saw a Watts linkage, misunderstood it.....and copied it.....

That's what I'm thinking.

Looks like it's never been driven much, mostly on and off the trailer used to haul it to and from static shows.

don't need no fancy SusPenshun when you's got a trailer.

TQ's FOREVER!!!!!!

You couldn't pay me enough to drive it on a trailer in its current state. I'd rather strap a hemi to a lawnmower and go down the strip than drive across the yard in that!

Agreed!

Fail! The bottom bars are probably ladder bars which is okay with coilovers. Leaning shocks back a lot is okay on light cars where the shock would be to stiff in a vertical position. My '40 Plymouth pickup had the rear shocks mounted this way from the factory. The coils around the shocks would be virtually ineffective at that angle. The side to side locators kill the whole thing and will only allow movement to the extent that there is slop or flex in the system. Looks like an attempt at a Watts linkage except there is no pivot.

If you look closely, I'm wondering if the coils are holding anything up, it actually looks like the bind of those upper bars might be supporting the truck? Gotta pray the bolts holding those brackets to the frame rails don't give way. Just use grade 8?

I have a feeling whoever built this has absolutely no idea how almost anything automotive works, or he wouldn't have installed the fuel tank backwards.

with the fuel outlets facing forward, the gas will slosh away from the fuel outlets every time you hit the throttle. of course on this rig that might be a "safety feature"???

Latest posts

Back