`79 Monte Carlo - Thunderhorse

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson

I just thought you guys would appreciate this car. I had it as a daily driver for about 5 months. I bought it for $800, and got $400 for the engine/trans(sold to my sister, now lives on in her delta 88), and $200 for the body. I kept a few fun bits for my Rambler project. The name was coined by my father, and had something to do with the fact you could hear it 3 miles away.

PB210001.jpg

PB210002.jpg

PB210005.jpg

It was almost a rat. It had no interior, no heat, no radio, no inner fenders, built 355, a flamethrower kit, a line-lock, cowl hood, home made spoiler, and to top it off I put a nice Cadillac wreath hood ornament. The suspension had also been rebuilt/beefed up.

PB210007.jpg

PB210008.jpg

PB210010.jpg

PB210012.jpg

PB210011.jpg

PB210004.jpg

I also did something with the glasspack exhaust it had when I bought it. I did 3" to cheap flowmaster knockoffs, then each of those had dual 2 1/2" outs to in front of the rear tires. Slash cut those, and you have a good aproximation of an angry jet at takeoff :D They don`t look all that impressive, but I was proud of myself(first time welding exhaust).

PB210006.jpg

It was THE most fun car I have ever had. Handled great, was fast, and scared every rice burner for miles around [ddev What I gathered from the less than mechanically inclined guy I bought it from was this: The guy that had it before him was making a race car out of it, then lost interest. That seemed correct to me. The glasspack exhaust and cheap-o gauges seemed like afterthoughts to the car, which was otherwise well done(to the point where it was, anyway). Oh, and after I bought it(and put a battery in it), I drove it 80 miles home. It was a blast even without the radio. I will miss this car for a long time......

-Johnson

Last edited:
I'm guessing you kept the shifter, line-loc, tach & gauges :confused: Hope you kept those cool speakers too:D Always loved the Monte's too but around these parts most of them have perished at the dirt track:(
Aside from the '71-72's the '83-87's have always been my favorites. My daughter has an '84 SS, it was her first car.
Heathersbryfest04.jpg

In fact she and her husband have a matching pair:cool:
Matchingcarsonweddingday.jpg

I kept the gauges, the linelock, the tach, the flamethrower(though I have figured out how to make one on the cheap since then), and the shifter(which I now cannot find....[S). Plus some little stuff I can`t think of right now.

My sister got some good stuff too, she got my exhaust, those rims and tires, the engine/tranny, and worst of all, that hood ornament :p All that went into her flat black `85 delta 88.

I would have kept the car, just put in a heater and some wintermarks on the rear, but I didn`t build the engine. This doesn`t sound that bad, but it really was all high rpm power(I prefer low-end). It just didn`t feel like "my car".

Your daughter has a nice monte. If mine had been that clean I probably would have kept it and just built a new motor for it.

This was my beast for a while, like yours , no heater, inner fenders, most ofthe time I worked on it it just had open headers.Ended up selling it because of that one project rule my master implemented. model a 046.JPG

model a 049.JPG

This was my beast for a while, like yours , no heater, inner fenders, most ofthe time I worked on it it just had open headers.Ended up selling it because of that one project rule my master implemented.

Nice, I drove my monte once with open headers while I was in the process of changing the exhaust. When I got where I was going, I no longer had any fillings [S Though my girlfriend was the opposite, she wanted me to keep the monte. For her :rolleyes:

I see that body style all the time. It`s just that in stock form they are all elegant and stuff, and they blend in with traffic.

Latest posts

Back