Glass

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darksyde

Wondering what this may cost me?

My truck will have a 2 piece front flat glass windshield, 2 side windows and a small mail slot back window.
Found a shop in town to do it but they wont even give me a ballpark cost till its in their shop.
Any idea what this may cost before I haul it down to someones shop? Ballpark estimate works.

For my '41 Ford PU I think I paid $65 for each side of windshield, didn't have side glass & had a plexiglass back window!

BoB

My truck will have a 2 piece front flat glass windshield, 2 side windows and a small mail slot back window.
Found a shop in town to do it but they wont even give me a ballpark cost till its in their shop.
Any idea what this may cost before I haul it down to someones shop? Ballpark estimate works.

I'm near Edmonton and I think I spent about $250-400 on my glass (it was several years ago I don't remember completely) and installed it myself, including the v-butt windshield urethaned in. Why are you planning on taking your truck down to the glass shop? Just cut templates, have them make the glass and install it yourself.

Bob's Classic Auto Glass, over in Oregon, makes custom glass and may give you a rough estimate. I have been pleased with their standard glass.
http://www.bobsclassicautoglass.com/

I just bought all the standard glass for my 47 Ford truck from Bob's also and I'm very happy with their customer service and price. Both clear windshields, both smoked door glasses and smoked rear window $260 shipped.
Bob's door and rear glass are tempered and the front is safety.
I had windows cut at a shop I've used locally for my 37 GMC and it was priced comparatively to Tripper, all of it was safety glass there.

Find another shop. I recently spoke to a local guy who quoted $500 for all the glass in my buddy's '37 coupe project, installed. I thought that was cheap and I asked every question you can think of... short version... he said, "It's all flat glass. We do it all the time, it's quick, easy and flat glass is cheap. I can charge you more if you like."

That said, the owner is a hot rod guy and probably the only shop in town who does this kind of work regularly. I'd think there's somebody in Calgary who can help you. Ring some phones until you hear logic and common sense on the other end...

I agree with Doc - I had all 6 windows cut and installed in my Graham for about that kind of money. Mind you, I'd made templates ahead of time, he'd cut the glass and we waited until he had a slow day in his shop. I ran the car up to him, he installed everything and I brought it home the next day and we were both happy!

Just bought all the flat glass from Bob's for my Stude Sedan for $400. That was for 8 pieces and a truck is going to be far less. However, any auto glass place can cut it for you.

I guess I could do it myself, just don’t know the tolerances, or dimensions/type of window trim. So I wouldn’t know where to start.
I wasn’t sure if it would be $1000+ for custom glass or $500ish

Speaking from the other end, never hold it against a shop who doesn't want to give you a "ballpark" figure - especially over the phone. This can often come back to bite them in the ass, because they have no idea what you actually have or potential issues you may be unaware of. Most small business owners treat phone calls as price fishing from people that usually don't have the money anyway, and they usually are. May not be your case, but it is true more often than not.

Best way to do it is stop in, be a real person, and ask if there is anyone there with experience doing class in vintage automobiles. If there is, ask to speak to him. You'll get much farther with an intro and a handshake than a voice on a phone. Just my experience...

Best way to do it is stop in, be a real person, and ask if there is anyone there with experience doing class in vintage automobiles. If there is, ask to speak to him. You'll get much farther with an intro and a handshake than a voice on a phone. Just my experience...

That's exactly what I did. The shop owner was happy to burn an hour of his time with another car guy... this (in my opinion) is the screening process... however, I'd expect reaching the same guy over the phone would yield decent results... as long as you speak the same language...

Can anyone tell me what kind or what style window seal I would use?

The guy I spoke with prefers Soff Seal... actually, he said, "You provide Soff Seal or I do."

Along with what Blue Eyed Devil was saying, sometimes I can flesh out a price from someone by saying "I'm trying to get an idea what I need to budget for this I mean are we talking $500 or $5000 for an average job?" Then they might open up a little and give an idea of where their prices are.

Doc, I went to the Soft Seal website and all the 49 and older says, they don't have the parts for them.
What am I missing?
Example: 1948 Chevy Fleetline

Old Iron, I read your post from my office today. (I never log in while on the company network and therefore, can't reply from there.)

... regardless, I was sure the shop owner said Soff Seal, but your post made me think twice. I called the shop this afternoon and sure enough, I'm wrong. He recommends and prefers Steele Rubber Products.

This is what I get when I rely on my memory... NFG. My apologies to you, Darksyde and everyone here. I should write things down... or, enter the pertinent information in my omnipresent PHONE.

When I was doing windows in my 36 I called a couple shops and both had a $ price per square inch and a cut fee. Was pretty easy to guess price from there.

Kinda an old topic and its probably done by now but just posting my experience

If you haven't had this done yet, make sure that the glass shop marks that the windshield is automotive safety glass on your receipt and that they cut at least the windshield from that. It's needed to meet the Alberta Vehicle Equipment Regulation.

Can anyone tell me what kind or what style window seal i would use?

If the windshield is going to install as it did stock, you would use a stock-style windshield rubber. If you are using urethane to seal the windshield to a lip behind it, get an S-10 windshield rubber from the glass shop (most glass shops have that style in stock).

Latest posts

Back