Ratty T-Bucket Builder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an aging "baby boomer", I got hooked on hot rods when I first saw Norm Grabowski's T-Bucket in Life magazine in 1957. Seeing it show up years later on 77 Sunset Strip, really cemented the T-Bucket desire in my mind.

Got into rod building in high school helping friends with projects like a 409 powered 1948 Austin sedan. Over the years, had a '62 Chevy Bel Air bubbletop and '65 Barracuda. Finally began my T-Bucket building project about ten years ago (darn priorities get in the way). In beginning the T-Bucket build, I did a ton of research on all the different elements, with an eye on keeping the total project within a reasonable budget. I started with CCR plans, the Total Performance plan book, and picked up a bunch more. And, out of desperation, finally popped $150 on eBay for a copy of the out-of-print "How to Build a T-Bucket Roadster on a Budget" which, incredibly, was worth every penny in terms of the money-saving, detailed information it offered.

Long story short: a few months ago, I came into contact with the author, Chester Greenhalgh, who'd all but disappeared for the past decade and a half. I'm now helping him reintroduce his original 250 page "How to Build a T-Bucket Roadster for Under $3000" as a low-buck eBook.

But, this is my intro -- not a commercial. My own budget T-Bucket build is progressing, and I've taken Chester's scrounging, build-it-yourself approach all along, with used front and rear transverse springs, Corvair steering box, el-cheapo MAS body, homebuilt frame, Falcon 9" rear, etc. Using a 292 Y-block for motivation and have a nice half-dozen Holley 94s to rebuild and put on the Offy six deuce manifold. My objective for joining the forum is to be able to contribute helpful information, while picking up more for my own project.

A Ratty T...... I like it. Diggin' the 292, (that's what I gots too) Mine came in under $3000, but it is not a T.
Your build sounds great, looking forward to hearing more.
Welcome to the site.

welcome to the RRR! nice intro, w/ lots of info!:D i think there's alot of us ratrodders with an affection for T-buckets..(i would love to build one myself someday)

show us a few pics of that project of yours when you get a chance...

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. In terms of pics, it's still under construction and I'll start with my original mockup and the Y-block before I got the 6 carb Offy to give you an idea where it's going.
HPIM1563.JPG
HPIM1811.JPG

This is the project that got me searching for Chester's T-Bucket "how to" book and led to where today I'm helping him out with its reintroduction as an eBook.

Will have to take some more photos and update later.

welcome to the RRR! nice intro, w/ lots of info!:D i think there's alot of us ratrodders with an affection for T-buckets..(i would love to build one myself someday)

show us a few pics of that project of yours when you get a chance...

Well run on over to Spirit Industries and pick one up HRP!! They'll hook you up right. Heck they'll even build the hard stuff for you while you wait. :D [;)

T1

Latest posts

Back